Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Squeaking cooling fan

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Z09B4U 
#1 ·
One of my cooling fans squeaks when I spin it by hand, with engine cold and off of course. 1996 Impala SS. Any thoughts ?

#2 ·
3 come to mind-
1. You're dam lucky it didn't fail completely 3 months ago. And stress the radiator since then until finally blowing the sidetank. And leaving you overheated. While evacuating a fire in CA.
2. It's over 20 years old. It's led a valiant life. But it'll never be anything more than a production line oem elec. component. Replace it.
3. Give the carcass to a yung-un to pattern on dirty old car parts.

Reactions: mecheng1
#3 ·
Read through this:

Bad fan motors will melt connectors,wiring, relay contacts, and relay sockets long before the fuse blows.

#4 ·
Tell me 'bout it. Yes, it was the primary:

With just 80k on the car I think it helped fail my radiator quicker:

Reactions: mecheng1
#5 ·
There was a TSB regarding fan relays. They would overheat causing the relay to melt the base it was plugged into which then = fan fail. GM made a external relay/fuse harness for the primary fan. innovativewiring.com makes a harness with both relays.

OP, pull your fan relays and look....if heat fatigues than do the relay swap mod....and yes fan motors do eventually die so if yours squeaks, binds, wobbles than replace it

#7 ·
When you get a chance...I guess that means that you will only replace it when it fails, and takes something else with it.

#8 ·
Have had some success in removing the blade/frame from motor,and spaying electro-clean inside. Both with no power applied,and connected to 12v via pigtail. Much dirt/crap came out,and motor became super quiet once again. Obviously this will not repair a totally wore out,or damaged motor,but doesn't cost much to try...

#9 ·
That's a neat thing to try. At 40,000 miles I don't think that it's worn out, but if it is I have no problem repairing it. But I do like your idea of giving the electronic cleaner a try. I think that the speak could be due to the fact that I drive the car less than 500 miles per year these days. Thanks for the suggestion.

#10 ·
"But I do like your idea of giving the electronic cleaner a try. "
1slow96 is not suggesting a generic product, I believe he is recommending a specific one.

"ELECTRO CLEAN-2 is an safety solvent made especially for generator and electrical motor cleaning and degreasing. "

I have used it in industry and it has cleaned out oil , grease, and other things from motor cases. I have used it on starters and alternators as well with good results. It will do nothing for bushings or bearings that are making noise due to wear or lubrication issues. It can wash lubricant out of areas that need it.

Some electronic cleaners may remove the chemical based insulation off the electric motor wire or damage it. The damage may not show up immediately but later as a dead short or overheating coils.

Where I am a can will cost 10-20% of a new fan motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.