Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got a 96 Roadie Wagon and this thing is suffering from a bad case of the squeaks. Anybody got an idea what the known culprits are? It sounds like the suspension, it’s happens when ever I get out the whip or over bumps and turns. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
Any "approaching quarter-century" GM without an entirely replaced front end suspension is long overdo. It could also be work done on the car, - miss-clocked coils or missing isolators, worn/missing shock cushions, rubbing exhaust on frame or drivetrain. Body cushions could be an issue - the only way is to get under and eyeball closely. Rear end same as front. Check loose gastank straps. Has the car ever been tweaked in a wreck? How old are the shocks anyway?

Basically, a million things, but sounds like susp. is best starting place. IDK ever hearing anything super exceptional with wagons v. any other B-/D-.

Reactions: BeanSS

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
You really need to try and "narrow down" the bad case of the squeaks or it could be as 96 Black said it could be just about anything. My car has squeaks doesn't really help us.

suggestions - try and find a stretch of road where it consistently squeaks. Get someone to stand there as you drive by and see if they can pinpoint the area. Does it do it as the wheel goes up? Down? As the car flexes? Hit the breaks? Shyt...is it the fricking squeaks at the front or the back of the car. :>).

What if you "bounce" the car while its parked, does it squeak then? Rock the car "back/forth while parked and see if it squeaks. Push pull on doors, thrunk, hood Etc, etc

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Look for shiny spots around the suspension parts. Grease the ball joints, and then the steering linkage (if that stops it, change all of the steering parts, or ball joints).

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Both above and you may want to lay under it and have a friend bounce it while you look & listen. It can be just about anything. My squeek only occurred when I was at higher MPH. It only stopped when my wife wasn't in the car. >:)

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
Both above and you may want to lay under it and have a friend bounce it while you look & listen.

Now that be just plain gross. ::Seinfeld;;/"Not that that's a BAD thing"

It can be just about anything. My squeek only occurred when I was at higher MPH. It only stopped when my wife wasn't in the car. >:)

Get outta tha car an getta room. More important, exactly what was the speedo reading?

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
If she saw this my room would have six handles and be flag draped. And it was north of 100.

Mahogany or stainless. Somehow I'm picturing starter fluid-soaked ply though. And wat, 50 or 44 stars. Inquiring minds wanna know. Ima thinkin our wifes be getting along along jus' fine now donchakno

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Mahogany or stainless. Somehow I'm picturing starter fluid-soaked ply though. And wat, 50 or 44 stars. Inquiring minds wanna know. Ima thinkin our wifes be getting along along jus' fine now donchakno
Stainless of course. Funny with Memorial Day coming up I was thinking about a ceremony when I was in grade school. They took down the 48 and raised the 50. Then burned all the old flags. Ole Glory always stayed in my heart after that.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Check the sway bar bushings... Mine were squeaking a lot and could tell when bounced the car up and down by the radiator support. Spaying a little wd40 or silicone in there fixed it up for me.

·
Registered
1996 ImpalaSS WX3
451 Posts
Both above and you may want to lay under it and have a friend bounce it while you look & listen. It can be just about anything. My squeek only occurred when I was at higher MPH. It only stopped when my wife wasn't in the car. /vBulletin/images/ImpalaSSforum_2016/smilies/tango_face_devil.png

That’s friggin hilarious ????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts