Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Among the reasons I had my entire, everything that moves and can wear out front suspension swapped out with new spring pads, Global West Del A Lums and other premium hardware was to get rid of some annoying squeaks that I thought might be caused by worn components. Now with all the nifty new hardware, including stiffer springs, my rid sounds like a dump truck. Continuous creaking on very slight suspension movement, and the old squeak is twice as loud now. Sounds like an old junker. I know the Del A Lums are greased well, and I know the ball joints are well greased. What gives? Do I just say h_ll with it and spray the whole front suspension down with oil? :mad:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can you tell if it is coming from the front or the back?
Are your body bushings in good shape and all tight?
Could it possibly be a bad shock?
Are the spring isolators in good shape and located properly?
You might try some WD 40 in the front LCA spring pocket, sometimes up top needs it too, but you may just try 1 place at a time so you know what stops squeaking.
I had a similar problem on my wagon, but it was only on fairly major front spring compression. Speed bumps and driveway aprons were the most noticeable.
I replaced everything at least once (or so I thought) and it still squeaked.
I ruined the front bumper cover jumping up and down on it, in an attempt to locate the squeak.
It turned out it was the f-body sway bar rubbing on the frame.
Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input - I'll try the WD-40 one area at a time to see if I can isolate the cause. Sure didn't expect this after the primo suspension rebuild.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you stiffen everything up you really magnify the tendency of interior parts to rattle (I know, that's not your complaint) and if you went with poly components, that may be the source of some of your squeaking. Stiffer springs might add to the squeaking too, since there's less give in the spring before other parts start to move. Just a thought. I think the selective WD-40 approach is a good idea, and like SSoMad said, you should check out your body bushings too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try and duplicate squeak(with hood open) by rocking each fender. You ,at least, may isolate which side it's coming from. Also, get yourself a lenght(about 5') of 3/8" rubber hose to use as a stetoscope. You'll need two assistants; one to rock & one to place end of hose on each moving FE part while you listen(other end of hose to ear). Don't forget Lower Control Arm Bushings too. Good luck!

BTW> You may have to jack car up so 'hose end placing assistant' can slide under car. Be carefull, "ALWAYS USE JACKSTANDS", especialy since you'll be rocking car!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You did'nt mention which shocks you had installed but I just had the Bilstein 1104 installed and had a terrible squeek with each bump in the road. After talking w/ Bilstein it seems the washers on the upper frt shock have to be installed correctly or you get a squeek. Hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been going through the same problem for the last 4 months, I've torn the front end apart 4 times, it doesn't do all the time but when it does it is like driving a Model "A". Right now I'm about to replace the ball joints. Wish me Luck ! :> )
Bruce

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check your parking brake cable where it comes out of the frame and goes to the dash.
They have been known to cause a squeek that is hard to find.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow - great feedback - thanks everyone. That's what makes this site such a valuable resource for B-body owners.

Noise is definitely from the front suspension. Have a creak on the front left that is easy to reproduce, as the slightest move causes it. Squeak on the right takes more suspension travel.

I'm sure it's not the GW Del-A-Lums, since they are all greased nicely as are the new 5/8 ball joints. Just haven't had time for a thorough investigation. Maybe this weekend I'll get a break in the actkon and take a look at it. The noise wasn't there when I got the car back from the shop.

The turn-in is noticeably improved with the GW bushings, quicker response and feels like I could bring the tail out real easily now (oversteer can be your friend, if you know how to use it ;).....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like Paul, my Impala had a squeak caused by the parking brake cable rubbing on the frame. Look inside the wheel well on the driver's side, you will see the problem. I stuffed a piece of plastic between the cable and the frame to stop the abrasion.

Ron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you ever get rid of the Squeaking and Creaking of your front suspension? I'm having the same problem with my '94 SS and so is a friend of mine on his '94 SS and we all replace all the front end parts with the same components, except I didn't replace my springs. Do you know where I can get a stick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...and I'm Bruce's friend he spoke of. I'm having the same exact problem's as you both describe and have tried all the same things as well. I've narrowed my sounds down to the lower control arm bushings on both sides of the car, and I think the upper ball joint also (but I can't confirm that yet). I know for sure the lower control arm bushings are the major contributor of the sounds.

It sure is annoying, and embaressing isn't it? It's so much louder outside of the car than it is inside the car.

Also, just for FYI, in addition to having the same front end components as Bruce and Lead SSled, I have hotchkis springs (with new isolators), koni shocks, hotchkis tie rod sleeves, and moog problem solver centerlink and tie rod sleeves.

This sucks!!! :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it's the front spring ends shifting in their seats. I did an entire front end rebuild with a PST stock kit, and followed an old Chevy buddy's suggestion of wrapping the last coil (top and bottom) with rubber (not vinyl) electical tape. He said it was an old trick for full-size Chevys. In fact, it did work for about a year/10k miles, but the creaking and sharp-low-speed-turning popping/crunching is now back. My next try will be poly coil spring insulators, of the kind that spiral wrap the last coil (as opposed to mere poly spring seats). They have worked on my Mustang so far.........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a really bad squeak in the front after my suspension upgrade. Dropped off to the guy at lunch & picked it up after work. He greased the left upper control arm bushing & it went away.

At the moment she's running quieter than before I tightened the front end up. :D Hopefully it stays that way.

Hope this helps someone.

Stretch

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.