Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I got a darn squeek from the front driver side (so it seems). Only happens on sharp bumps, very ritmic with the suspension/bumps and much more prominent when the brakes are applied and the weight of the car is on the front...like an undergroud garage entrance with all the "ribs" to drive on going down...well, it squeek with every bump when I go down to park in the morning. I'm about to dip the front end in ATF... can anybody point me somewhere??? I tried the WD-40, but I can't reach the "table bushings" in the spring pockets...where I think it's coming from (dropped the front about 2 months ago and the noise started about 2 weeks later.

Thanx a whole lot people!!!

Ian.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would check the upper shock mount bushings. They will squeek. I also found out that the stock rubber isolators for the front springs started to squeek after I lowered the car. I took them out after tearing my front end apart a couple times. Now, no more squeeks.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ian, check out your upper control arm bushing ... I know that mine makes the EXACT same noises that you described. The bushing needs to be replaced on my car ... zap it with some WD-40 and VIOLA :D , noise is gone temporarily!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I know....
Spring rubbing on the pocket?

I had LBJ's installed last week and i have this exact same problem now. I put the car on ramps and had a friend jounce it. The drivers side spring is just barely rubbing on the spring pocket. What is the best way to fix this? I am running 9c1 springs cut 1 coil. It is so minor that it seems like I could just use a die grinder to grind some relief on the spring pocket. Any suggestions, warnings, or ideas? It is indexed properly and in the seat.
Nick

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EXACTLY what TBSIMMONS said,,,Upper shock mount,, I would start there.. When I replaced my shocks the upper washer on the mount was rubbing on my upper control arm.. let us know what you find out

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So when replacing springs and shocks what other things need to be replace. For example mount bushings,

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maniac,,
the shocks you buy SHOULD have all the bushings and install parts you need. (bushings, spacers, mounting bolts)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by blingin96:
EXACTLY what TBSIMMONS said,,,Upper shock mount,, I would start there.. When I replaced my shocks the upper washer on the mount was rubbing on my upper control arm.. let us know what you find out
I found out, my drivers side spring IS rubbing against the pocket that the spring goes into. I was rather suprised too but I put it on ramps and I can actually see it hitting. I will have it right tomorrow though.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by blingin96:
.. When I replaced my shocks the upper washer on the mount was rubbing on my upper control arm..
IMPOSSIBLE...how could either the upper Shock bushing or washer rub on UCA?
:confused: Did you mean chassis upper spring perch, where upper Shock passes through?

If washer is rubbing on spring perch, either bushing is toast and/or upper Shock nut is over tightened.
:eek: Upper nut should be torqued until bushing just starts to bulge.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pigman, you may want to lube your front
sway bar bushings, too, especially if
they're uerethane. Mine squeak like you
read about when they dry out.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had the irritating squeek plague me too after a spring change. I applied a generous coating of all-purpose grease to top and bottom coils, anywhere where you think they may rub on other metal. Problem solved. No more noise! :D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I must recant all that I have said. I had also put ZQ8 bumpstops in at the same time. My spring was just bareely rubbing against the bumpstop and it was making a hell of a racket. I took the bumpstops off and went back to the stocks, not a peep since. Oh well live and learn....
Nick

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by 93wagon:
... I took the bumpstops off and went back to the stocks, not a peep since. ...
Nick
:confused: :confused: >>Very interesting;
SO you were using car WITHOUT front Shocks while the ZQ8 BS's were on there?
Car must've been handling bumps beautifully!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't understand what the ZQ8 bumpstops have to do with shocks at all. I have made no mention of shocks yet. I have had monroe SS shocks on since I did my rebuild, the car does handle masterfully.

Nick

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, nix my comments, I mistook 'stocks' for 'shocks'.
Little by little, the brain, the brain.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That makes more sense. I didn't like driving the car with brand new stock shocks, I can't imagine driving with no shocks....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts