Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after splitting the body on my SS to do the body mounts I decided to take it one step further and box the frame.

A couple of more things had to be disconnected to lift the body even more.

-The fuel lines that go to the gas tank ( in my case I removed the gas tank )
-The ABS wire the plugs in to the driver side rear floor pan.

Once I made sure there was nothing left to undo. I then raised the body.

I then had full access.

Driver Side

Passenger side

I then removed all the gas lines and the vent line from the passenger side

Moved the brake line out of the way. Time to bust out the measuring tape!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So for the driver side piece I got a measurement of 45" in length, 5" in width at the rear and 5.5" in front.

For the passenger side, 32" in length, 5" at the rear and 5.5" in the front. This will cover the open section of the frame. I will then have to close of the ends with smaller pieces.

So this morning I headed out to my local metal shop.

Here's the first one, freshly cut!

When I got home I was curious about the weight of both these pieces. Not bad at all :)

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
frame.

Cool.Will def be following this.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
13 pounds? What thickness did you go with? Once it becomes a 'box', you probably don't need much more the 1/8". But can't hurt either :)

Good to see that there is only one frame mount that needs dealing with. Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
13 pounds? What thickness did you go with? Once it becomes a 'box', you probably don't need much more the 1/8". But can't hurt either :)

Good to see that there is only one frame mount that needs dealing with. Thanks for the pics!
Yes 13 Lbs. Both pieces are 1/8" thick.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Cool, is there any need to do this in the rear as well? I am looking to add some power to my '94 9c1 when I take it out of storage but I don't currently have a garage to work in. I will plan to upgrade all of the brake lines to SS and replace all other lines in the frame.

I have seen where boxing the frame has been suggested in the past. This would also be a great time to upgrade the bushings.

I am looking at sand blasting and then powder coating my frame as well. Wondering if powder coating will cover everything when it is done.

Rodney

·
Registered
315 Posts
In theory, since all the suspension and spring/shock mounts are at or ahead of the axle, boxing the tail of the frame would add more weight than rigidity. Tieing the rear of the frame rails together (like with the RMS brace) has mixed opinions, but its fast, easy, and at least the added weight is at the very back of the car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Do you have a link for this RMS brace? I am trying to imagine where it would go..

Or would it be like the receiver I have now?

(I will be removing the receiver since it is rusted and you can't take the hitch out any more. I hooked a rope to the hitch and wrapped it around a pole and tried to "shock" it out and all I did was break the rope. Decided not to do any more for fear of bending/breaking something...)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool, is there any need to do this in the rear as well? I am looking to add some power to my '94 9c1 when I take it out of storage but I don't currently have a garage to work in. I will plan to upgrade all of the brake lines to SS and replace all other lines in the frame.

I have seen where boxing the frame has been suggested in the past. This would also be a great time to upgrade the bushings.

I am looking at sand blasting and then powder coating my frame as well. Wondering if powder coating will cover everything when it is done.

Rodney
I'm debating on getting the frame sandblasted right now. Might just clean it up and Por15 it! Although now would be the time for sandblast. decisions decisions!!

I'm not sure about the Caprice but on the Impala all the fuel lines are plastic. :)

My brake line is in good condition so I will leave it alone but I will for sure install the rear braided brake flex line. I didn't want to replace it when I upgraded the brakes last summer. Not much room up there.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back at the shop this morning for a little bit. I wanted to make sure the pieces I got cut fit properly.

Driver Side

On the passenger side I had to cut a little piece of the frame first.

Let see if it fits!

Nice!! :)

I just had enough time to prep the frame so I can weld the plates in this weekend.

·
Registered
144 Posts
it started with a few body mounts and now it became a frame off restoration:)
Good job...definitely interested in this. My plan is to box the frame on my car too next winter. If that will happen I don`t know. Big job without a lift.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
frame

Hey looks good.Could this be done without the body off the frame.
Thanks Paul.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes there's an issue with the welder at the shop. I was just able to tack on the pieces tried a few passes and called it a day. I'm going back tomorrow with a welder I'm borrowing from work. I grinded down the two passes I made and am starting fresh tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.