Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a set of SS rims now, want to put a summer tire on them, something in the 255/55/17 or 28" range.

Also want a winter set of rims and what's where I cannot decide.
If I should go with another set of SS rims and put 255/55/17 snow tires on it or possibly 235/60/17. (I really want to stick with the 28" tire size)

Or get 4 steel rims and go with 235/70/15 tire for winter.

SS rims seem to have dropped in price down to 250/set.

But the advantage of steel rims is that the winter season is not that long anyway, 3 months maybe at most where you can anticipate snow/ice, and I would have greater choice, not to mention that they would be cheaper.

Also with the steel rims, what kind do I get? 9C1 maybe, it looks better than stock wheels? I just don't want the ghetto look.

In general, does 255 or 235 handle better in the snow?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have a set of SS rims now, want to put a summer tire on them, something in the 255/55/17 or 28" range.

Also want a winter set of rims and what's where I cannot decide.
If I should go with another set of SS rims and put 255/55/17 snow tires on it or possibly 235/60/17. (I really want to stick with the 28" tire size)

Or get 4 steel rims and go with 235/70/15 tire for winter.

SS rims seem to have dropped in price down to 250/set.

But the advantage of steel rims is that the winter season is not that long anyway, 3 months maybe at most where you can anticipate snow/ice, and I would have greater choice, not to mention that the would be cheaper.

Also with the steel rims, what kind do I get? 9C1 maybe, it looks better than stock wheels? I just don't want the ghetto look.

In general, does 255 or 235 handle better in the snow?
Try to find a set of these
that came on the 90's trucks and suburbans. They don't look all that bad and around here all of the local tire shop's have sets of take offs for sale for like 80-100 bucks

There is actually a b-body on these locally i'll try to snag a pic sometime.

·
Registered
983 Posts
SS

I ran stock steelies on my wagon for the last 2 winters. Nothing wrong with them, I just stole the SS wheels off the fireball I parted out and put the stockers on it when I sold the roller. I picked up a slightly used set of 4 235/60R17s for $100, which are nearly identical height and width to the stock wagon tire. This is probably the size you are going to want to run because...

1) Skinnier tires are better in the SNOW! Trust me, I'm from Cleveland.
2) You'll never find 255/55r17s and if you do, they are going to be much more expensive than the common 235/60r17s that come on small SUVs.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hm, the plot thickens. I suspected so really. Looks like these sizes are very close, so that I should get no odometer error.
The question is really if I should get 17" SS rims or similar such as in the pic above and go with 235/60/17 or get say 9C1 rims and go with 235/70/15.

Either way my odometer should be right on the money. My PCM is tuned for 28" tire so I am fine there.
Plus with 3.73, I should still be OK with the effective gear ratio.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Code:
Specification  Sidewall  Radius  Diameter  Circumference  Revs/Mile  Difference
255/55-17          5.5in     14.0in     28.0in          88.1in            719             0.0%
[B]235/60-17         5.6in    14.1in    28.1in         88.3in           718            0.2%
235/70-15         6.5in    14.0in    28.0in         87.8in           722           -0.3%[/B]
225/75-15          6.6in      14.1in    28.3in           88.9in            713            0.9%

·
Registered
101 Posts
Try to find a set of these
that came on the 90's trucks and suburbans. They don't look all that bad and around here all of the local tire shop's have sets of take offs for sale for like 80-100 bucks

I have a set of these wheels for sale if you need them. They are the same lug pattern as the Impala SS. If your interested let me know and I can send you pics if you want.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
My preference:
I like skinny winter tires, so I run 225/75/15 (cheaper than 17's). They are on old American Racing steel wheels which have rust everywhere, including the bead surface and they eventually leak even after the bead surface has been cleaned up.
I purposely found a set of aluminum winter wheels off an astrovan for $60. They look similar to these.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try to find a set of these that came on the 90's trucks and suburbans. They don't look all that bad and around here all of the local tire shop's have sets of take offs for sale for like 80-100 bucks

a pic would be nice.

What's the diameter of these rims, 16" or 17"? I assume they are steel?

·
Registered
365 Posts
a pic would be nice.

What's the diameter of these rims, 16" or 17"? I assume they are steel?
Are you looking at work? Its prob a blocked image. They are the 16 inch alloys off of the suburbans and trucks I'm pretty sure they were standard on everything that was five lug i.e 2wd 1500's 4wds got 6 lug and 2500's got 8 lugs

edit: just realized you were saying a pic of that car would be nice, they are 16 inch alloys

·
Registered
890 Posts
cragar soft 8s are cheap and sexy

i run american racing 767s. a little more expensive and a little uglier. kinda wish i'd gone with cragars

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you looking at work? Its prob a blocked image. They are the 16 inch alloys off of the suburbans and trucks I'm pretty sure they were standard on everything that was five lug i.e 2wd 1500's 4wds got 6 lug and 2500's got 8 lugs

edit: just realized you were saying a pic of that car would be nice, they are 16 inch alloys

Understood. That's good stuff.

I meant if I could get a pic of them installed on a B-body wagon. They do look pretty nice. Especially given the price.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Understood. That's good stuff.

I meant if I could get a pic of them installed on a B-body wagon. They do look pretty nice. Especially given the price.
I went by where I used to see it parked but it wasn't there. I have never seen it anywhere else either and fwiw it was a sedan. But I promise you it looks good. I think it was a dcm'ish color. There are two types of center caps for them as well. One has simulated lug nuts and the other is solid. If you can't find them at a shop or a junkyard post up on fullsizechevy.com and im sure someone near you has a set they wouldnt mind parting with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi dogma.
You wrote
"SS rims seem to have dropped in price down to 250/set".

Do you mean stock impala rims??
Or is there some aftermarket rims. Where can I eventually buy them?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
It must be the economy but seems you can find a set of used Imp SS rims for around 250. Saw a few on this very forum.

I have decided to go with 235/xx/xx for winter, on steel rims...
I run 215's on steelies. Skinny snow tires work well. I live in Kansas. We need something more like ice skates than snow shoes.

- Brian

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I drove one time from Colorado to the East coast. I got caught in a huge snowstorm in Kansas. Took me forever to drive through it. It normally takes forever anyway but that took twice as long as forever.

I had the car fully loaded and very heavy. It was completely full of my junk as I was moving. I also had some winter tires on it. I wish I could remember what brand, as it was 10 years ago. Anyway, the car performed amazingly well in that snow. I saw everyone pull over or drive 35. I however could go almost the full speed, close to it. I think I drove 55 or more with no loss of traction or stability or anything weird. Of course that was on isolated stretches of the highway with nobody around and straight as a pencil for hours. Might not repeat that today.

Under certain conditions, RWD can be amazing in the snow.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Don't go 235. You want 215/75-15's. I've run those on those "ugly" AR-767's since I bught my imp 12 years ago. Heck, unless one other gu doesn't want my set, I'll sell them and the mounted kumho 795 tires but only if You are near central ohio or mansfield.

I can't use them anymore because of the stupid dual piston calipers I put on. Gotta find me some bigger cheap wheels before snow hit. I now drive 60 miles one way and into the snow belt!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts