Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going put these SS seats I got into my 88 Caprice, just wondering if the wiring harness that plugs into the roadmaster seats and seat controls will be plug and play with my SS seats?

There's a roadmaster at my local pickNpull and I want to go check it out tomorrow. Thought I would ask before I go and make the trip for nothing if it will not work.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
If it does not work as a plug and play, you can wire the new seats to the old seat plug. The circuits should be the same, even if the plugs are different.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I flipped the SS seats over to have a look at the track a motors I figured there would be a orange wire for power 12v and a black for ground, which there wasn't. I didn't check it out too long so I will have to go out to the garage for another look.

Anyone have a wiring diagram for which wire is what on the seats?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Did you try bolting just the seats to your old rails? That may be a simpler solution.

If you are intent on using the RM rails, and lack a wiring diagram, you could use an 18 volt drill battery and a couple of wires to run the motors. While doing this record which wire is which, and then you can splice the old pigtail to the new rails. You would require an FSM for both cars (at least the 88, and someone with a newer one) to get the pinouts.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
roadmaster and SS's have the exact same seat frame and wiring
That is correct RM seats and Imp seats use exactly the same motors. If you are going to get the wiring harness from the RM the seat controls and connections at the door are completely different, unless it is a 93 RM then they are pretty much the same as the same door controls were used. Attached is the power seat diagram for the RM and the Imp. Now if the RM is a limited it will have the the power recline which the Imps do not have, let me know if you need the wiring for this as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Does your 88 Caprice have seat control switches, or do you need the seat switches and bezel for it too. If your 88 has control switches and wiring in place, it should be an easy swap. You would still need the wiring diagram for the 88.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 88 Caprice has 6 way power seats in now, only the driver seat is power operated.

Appreciate the wiring diagram.

And no I have not had a chance to give it a look and put the SS seats in for a test fit, maybe today.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Well since you only have a 6 way on the drivers side you are going to have to find a way to power up the passenger unless you leave the manual rail in there and just bolt the SS seat to it, Fred is right you are going to need the diagram for assistance in the 88, I would assume that there is some version of the 88 that came with a power passenger seat, the wiring from one of those would be helpful for sure.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think the caprice ever came with power seats, I have a 88 caprice LS brougham and I have pretty much every option they offered interior wise. The pic above is actual pic of my seats.

I'll have to take a look over my Haynes book to see if they have anything for the seats.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
You would have to get the seat control switches for the passenger side too.

You could use the wires from the RMW to feed to the door and back once you have the switch and bezel.

For the time being, you could install the seat and just not be able to move it.

There is an 88 Olds CC in the yard here. I have not checked for power seat parts, but I will be in the yard on Friday. Post a pic of the seat controls in your car so that I can compare them.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Can you help me with roadmaster limted seat wireing?
If you give us an idea of what your problem is, maybe we could help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay the problem is its a limited rm seat and I can't seem to figure out the power recline or any of the lumbar support wiring. It has two connectors instead of just one so I know I need to run some power and ground just not sure wich ones I ran the orange and that doesn't really help. Has anybody here done the swap? Please help cwm8

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
What are you putting them in?

The orange wire is usually the hot wire. Black is usually ground.

The Limited seats have some of the controls on the seats, and you will have to wire them with the small connector. The lumbar motor is on the passenger's side only, with a hose and electrical valve on the driver's side. If you wire the small connector for power, the control panels on the seats will take care of the rest of the wiring for the functions on the seat switch panels.

The main connector should have an orange wire for the power wire, and the others are for directions of movement for the door mounted switches.

Standard seats are back green, front tan, rear height down lt blue, front height down dk blue, rear height up yellow, rear height down green. I do not have the wiring for the seat side of the wiring on a Limited seat, but the 93 FW, which has the same seat as the Limited is wired the same way. You can attach the battery mentioned above to determine which one does what. You will have to power the motor in the opposite direction by swapping the poles on the battery on the wires. It may spark when you touch the wires and the motor starts. That is normal.

You need the harness between the two seats for the lumbar support system. It will have all of the wiring needed except the ground and power leads.

The seat heaters have an orange and brown wire to the connector The rest should be in the bottom of the seat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts