Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I think I recall something about the 96's having dual contact points for the horn or something like that? Not 100% sure though.

·
Administrator
6,195 Posts
No, they are not the same. You can tell the difference by looking at the horn pads. 94/early 95 use a one bugle pad, 95 and 96 use the two bugle. The mounting for the horn assembly under the bag is different. However, you can interchange the pads with some work.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i picked up a wheel from a 96 hoping to recover and install it. so i guess ill have modify the 96 to work with my 94 horn/air bag. or install the 96 wheel temporarily while the other is getting recovered

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
fwiw; the 95-96 design is more ergonomic when you do need to lay into the horn. W/ the 94, you have to push the top of the airbag to engage horn. W/ 95-96, the bottom engages it. I can only assume GM engineers caught this and made the change. Why would they change anything unless they felt a compelling 'need' to? Hands usually being lower, meh, it's a personal preference thing too I guess. For me, the 95-96 works better, so retrofitting to that might be desirable.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Some of the Caprice wheels have different airbags than the Impala. I helped someone put a Caprice wheel on an Imp, and it was an odd fit. I got it to work, but I was not happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
7,102 Posts
As I stated above, it's not a Caprice/Impala thing. It's a year thing.
To add to this correct info,

The late wheel can be used with the early horn set up
If you dig through the foam, the mounting points are there for the buttons

If one has the smallest amount of ingenuity, you can go either way with the airbags and wheels and come up with a factory operating setup.

My car was an early 95 with the two separate horn buttons mounted on the wheel
I first put a 96 wheel on and fitted the early air bag and buttons
The horn worked just as fair is original

I then went to the late Air bag with built in horn contacts
Much better system

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
As I stated above, it's not a Caprice/Impala thing. It's a year thing.

Well, yes and no. The caprice wheel isn't leather and is thicker. The SS is leather and being somewhat thinner in material, "feels better". Believe me. I'm keeping a 9C1 stock solely because virtually everyone else wants/ed to "clone" them. I can count exactly 2 SS parts on the whole car that I've decided to use though...the grill surround and the steering wheel.

The functionality of the 2 is the same and are year specific as noted above.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.