Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I contacted Clear Image about an SSRI, I was quoted 70 for the shroud and 30 extra for springs and gasket.

Is this something I should pay them for or are these parts I can pick up at Ace Hardware for loads cheaper?

I already have everything else necessary, just need the shroud.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
So basically $100 for an SSRI? That's a heck of a deal if you already have the MAF harness extension, boot, and cone filter. I'm sure you could buy the springs elsewhere, but I wouldn't know the length/tension of them offhand (3 total, 2 from shroud to waterpump, one across the top of the shroud). The gasket material is probably about $15-20 for the length. So $30 for all of it is fair.

You'll probably want an AF from them as well, since from what I heard it is needed to get proper fitment of the shroud.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Cool, I'll just get it from them then.

By AF, you mean air filter correct? I believe I have the same filter in their kit, it's a 7 inch S&B. I've got everything else I need already setup. But the filter is just hanging out sucking hot air right now.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
AF is the Air Force 2. It sits a little in front of the radiator to direct air up to the SSRI. The current SSRI kit includes it to improve the fitment. I bought my SSRI but didn't get the AF2, as a result the shroud was a bit loose over the radiator. A couple pieces of rubber under the shroud where it hangs on the radiator will fix this as well, but the AF2 adds to the look and function.

http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/Products/Engine/ColdAirIntakes.htm

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
That's a great deal on the shroud. Go for it. I did mine piecemeal too and got the shroud from Dan after he bought the rights for the SSRI.

Another option available to you is to do away w/ the springs completely. I thought they were cheesy as hell looking and worked like azz. Requires drilling a couple of holes into the shroud, but you can get a couple of long stainless threaded studs to screw into the throttle body and use these to secure the shroud in the back. Like so:

and

Sorry, that's all I have on file right now so don't have a picture of the whole schmeel. Looks much more integrated this way and MUCH sturdier. Use stainless nuts in front of rubber washers to hold the shroud in place at the other (near) end of the studs.

Anyone interested in polished stainless underhood fasteners? I've assembled a kit for everything w/ a couple of different variations. Shoot me an email if interested.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a great deal on the shroud. Go for it. I did mine piecemeal too and got the shroud from Dan after he bought the rights for the SSRI.

Another option available to you is to do away w/ the springs completely. I thought they were cheesy as hell looking and worked like azz. Requires drilling a couple of holes into the shroud, but you can get a couple of long stainless threaded studs to screw into the throttle body and use these to secure the shroud in the back. Like so:

and

Sorry, that's all I have on file right now so don't have a picture of the whole schmeel. Looks much more integrated this way and MUCH sturdier. Use stainless nuts in front of rubber washers to hold the shroud in place at the other (near) end of the studs.

Anyone interested in polished stainless underhood fasteners? I've assembled a kit for everything w/ a couple of different variations. Shoot me an email if interested.
That's awesome, any chance you could snap some more pictures soon? I'm really interested in this mod

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I don't know how well the studs idea will work out over time. The springs allow the shroud to move when the torque of the engine twists. Having studs to the engine, and mounts to the radiator, seems to me a good way to eventually get the shroud to start cracking. The SSRI from Dan already has the holes in it for the springs, no drilling required.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Perhaps, but the studs have replaced the original bolts for 4 years now, retain the throttle body in the exact same fashion (note the bolts securing the TB), no mention was made of any "mounts to the radiator" (there are none) and what you're referring to simply hasn't happened. I'll give it some more time though. You may be right. What do I know. ;)

I snapped a pic from a video I had so it's a little blurry. When I get a chance, I'll take a regular picture:

I used a shorter cone so I could fit the MAF in the shroud as well. For my purposes, I'm drawing more than sufficient CFM's and I really like the idea of having both the air and the MAF sensors shielded. Not many (any that I've seen) people shield the MAF w/ either the RAISS or SSRI CAI's. One additional expense was the rear SSRI plate. I had one made up at a local plastics place to seal against the shroud better.

Email me or post if you've any questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.