Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed Suspension Techniques drop springs on the B4U last summer. When I jack the car by the body the springs fall out... they are way too short, at least 4"

Is there a way to limit suspension extension so the springs don't fall out?? I know some airbag guys have chains to tie the diff to the frame and prevent "over-extension" when they jump but i really dont want to do that.

Have any of you guys have had that problem?? what did you do about it??

Thanks in advance,

Guillaume.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few heavy duty zip ties holding the lower pigtail to the perch works for me. I don't run ST's... but the principle is the same

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I think they all for the most part are the same.

One guy welded in a piece of pipe to the upper bracket that ran down the middle of the spring.

I also used heavy zip ties. Still, if I fully jack up the rear end I have to make sure all is seated correctly when I let it down.

You have to make sure to find an oil change place that has a drive up ramp as opposed to letting them hang also. (For $12.50, I'm not about to change my own oil)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have intrax springs that were installed last summer...

always fell out when I jacked the car, was looking for some zip ties at home depot, cant belive they didnt have them, so I just tried some metal hose clamps they had, suprised they haven't snapped yet, but they work. I just didn't tighten them up all the way, just enough so the springs angle can not move when the car is lifted. Taken it to plenty of shops(lifted) and drove it fast through train tracks without problems.

Just dont forget to put WD-40.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i like the hose clamp idea. i think i'll buy a few good stainless steel clamps and try to work with that.

thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like we have more ******* engineers on this site than I thought! <VBG>

Instead of a band-aid, the real cure is to use shorter shocks. They will limit the rear suspension travel. No, I don't know any part numbers - you'll have to do the research yourself. Best bet is to get under the car and measure the height at which the springs fall out, and get a shock with an extended length one inch shorter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by stonebreaker:
Sounds like we have more ******* engineers on this site than I thought! <VBG>

Instead of a band-aid, the real cure is to use shorter shocks. They will limit the rear suspension travel. No, I don't know any part numbers - you'll have to do the research yourself. Best bet is to get under the car and measure the height at which the springs fall out, and get a shock with an extended length one inch shorter.
Damn you... always wanting to fix things "properly"... well why don't you just go take your fancy book-learnin' somewheres else... we don't need none of that around here!! ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big A auto parts stores(atleast the one here) have a book that lists shocks and their specs. You can look up a shock that extends to X height and compresses to Y height. It's great for looking up a custom shock like that.

You could also use some off road or circle track suspension limiter or "droop limiter" straps. The ******* way would be to use some ratchet straps around the axle and a hole in the frame.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shorter shocks are the best way to do it. But they won't work on a skirted car, you won't be able to remove the rear tires without undoing the shocks. A bit of a pain on the side of the highway at night in the rain.

I've run ST springs for over 100K and never had one fall out while driving, but they are a total PITA when putting the car on a hoist.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have competition engineering drag shocks, and they dont make shorter ones that fit.

I'll try one of the "*******" solutions i guess

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shorter shocks are the best way to do it. But they won't work on a skirted car, you won't be able to remove the rear tires without undoing the shocks.

It's tough enough to get the rears off on a wagon the way it is! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by spacemonkey:
I take it the belltech shocks are a no go then.I was going to order them with my springs.
the belltech springs are shorter than the stock ones, but they are not a drag shock.

It depends on what you want to do with the car... if it's a "cruiser" then the belltech drop shocks will probably be good for you

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the Belltech drop shocks on my 91 sedan (skirted) and I could still get the rear wheels off. 225/70R15 on 9C1 wheels. The belltech shocks are a bit shorter, but the springs will still fall out when you lift the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does the fall out apply to all lowering springs or just the 2"+ drop for our cars? I am looking at hotchkis or vogtland springs.Are the belltech good shocks?
Sorry for all the questions.I just want to make I choose the right stuff first.Gets kinda $$$pricey when you keep swaping stuff till you like it.I've done that on a couple of vehicles before

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was considering drop shocks for when the monroe SS shock go out in the future. But it seems like a drop shock is still no guarantee(Sp?) that it will keep the spring in place when the car is raised. I keep thinking about going back to stock suspension but the front end springs are a pain in the ass(three times is enough). After a few months I now have mixed feelings about lowering the car... looks awesome but it seems to create alot of little problems... this thread points to one of them.

Little off topic, what would happen if the springs fly out the car while moving? lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.