Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I did put in a 3000 at about 113,000 miles -------but with a trangso kit and a tune. absolutly no problems

The only regret I have is that I should have went with a 3600

·
Registered
654 Posts
Who has put a stall in a unbuilt trans???? I'm thinking 32 or 36 stall
im putting a 300 stall in my tranny right now as we speak. mines also has a transgo hd2 kit. no problems with the 2500 stall there now. my tranny has 16qk on it and it runs great.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Doesn't stall speed get based upon cam profile, and not how built your tranny is ?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Doesn't stall speed get based upon cam profile, and not how built your tranny is ?
Actual stall, is more accurately, based on actual engine torque. The size of the cam is just one of the factors in estimating that torque and the shape of torque curve. The shape and RPM then tells you were you 'want' the actual stall to occur. Max effort strip cars shoot, i think, for actual stall to be around peak torque rpm. Which keeps the engine running between that peak torque to and thru the hp peak.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
The issue that I think the OP is getting at is whether a torque convertor with a stock(ish) tranny would be a problem......well......yeah, it could.

Depending on the TC, there can be added stresses placed upon the tranny. This could be an issue when a small (9 to 9.5 inch) TC is installed in a high mileage tranny that hasn't had the best of maintenance. A certain four-letter word comes into play......H-E-A-T.

Other than that, I see no reason to be concerned about installing a TC in a stock tranny......but then, I'm no tranny expert :eek: .

KW

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts