Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
161 - 168 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
I realize the ground clearance will be reduced, but the pan is below the engine cradle. I will only lose the thickness of the plate and distance and between it and the pan. If necessary I can adjust the front height a little. A crash block in front of the cradle will not protect the bottom of the oil pan.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Finished a couple of wire ends, pulled the orifice tube out of the line, replaced all the old lug nuts with new acorn style ones and tightened them down.

I devised a way to take the warp out of the bottom of the core support without using my come-a-long. I can put a 2X4 across the front wheels and use a small jack that I have to push the bottom out on one side.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
I finally got the core support straightened, and can mount the radiator. The headlights are installed, but loose for adjustment. After I removed the orifice tube, I noticed that it has some black stuff clogging the small end. I am taking it to a radiator shop to see if it just needs to be replaced, or if more needs to be done. I also found that the connector for the fans has a burnt connector, and the plastic has melted to some extent. I think I will have to visit the local junk yard for a replacement.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
I needed to modify one of the fans to fit on my shroud, and got that done, so I can install the radiator.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
I cut the adjusted latch holes in the hood, and marked the core support for drilling the post holes for the hood latches. I used a tiny circuit board cutter/drill in my Dremel. It cut the CF like a hot knife through butter. I made sure I wore gloves so I did not get the CF chips on my hands. It is worse than fiberglass.

I must go to the junk yard for a 94-96 fan wiring harness tomorrow. I really only need the connector and one wire, but I will take the whole thing.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
I tried to get the cooling fans hooked up, and got most of it done. My tool for extracting the pins from the connector is about 1/2" too short to get them out of the larger end of the connector. I also need a connector for the driver's side fan. I am not sure where on the car the ones I have came from, so I may get a slightly different type. I need one with some thick wires to carry the current for the fans. Always petty crap close to the finish.

My AC on the White Elephant died yesterday, and there is definitely something amiss. The brakes are acting up as well. What a PITA.

·
Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
331 Posts
My AC on the White Elephant died yesterday, and there is definitely something amiss. The brakes are acting up as well. What a PITA.
The joys of owning an old car.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Another small step...finished the wiring for the cooling fans, and drilled the holes for the front hood latch posts. I drilled them about 1/8" too far front, and had to elongate the holes a little, so I can get the bottom washer and nut on the post.

161 - 168 of 168 Posts