Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the course of the last week or so, I've noticed the starter cranking of the motor slowing down. I've been able to turn the motor over and it runs fine. After driving a while and turning the car off, I notice that it struggles to turn over when I try to start it back up. I do this 2 or 3 times and it gets worse (slower to crank). On the third or fourth try, the starter doesn't crank initially but if I hold the ignition in the "start" position for a few seconds, it eventually turns and starts the car. I do hear the clicking sound when I turn the key to the start position. After doing this 3 or 4 times, I can smell a faint electrical burnt smell in the car. The battery is in good condition - barely a year old and fully charged.
Oh, and this is on a bone stock 96 BBB with 117k on the odo. Starter going bad? Ignition switch?

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
with a voltmeter check the voltage at the battery should be 12.5-12.8 volts at rest.

remove the battery connections wire brush connections see if it cranks faster.

then jack up vehicle or ramps disconnect the battery ground then check the starter connections including the one that has no wire to it . make sure the starter bolts are tight.

electrical smell is usually a bad connection .

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
consider replacing the battery cables if they are original

Innovative Wiring LLC

well worth the $

if it turns out the starter itself is fading, the "corvette" starter for 96 at Autozone is a good replacement. It is a "gear reduction" type starter. stronger crank, lighter and cheaper than a OEM replacement

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
Just from the symptoms sounds very similar on an old vette. Every 6 months the big neg stud and spring loaded copper spinning disc (both in the solenoid) would need sanding smooth from arching/corrosion. Not certain the design is the same as in '69 though. Another time very sim symptoms again with a boat and a brush bolt simply backed.

I'd just pop the starter off and dissect it for pure curiosity. Check all your wiring connections first of course - corroded - cut insulation.....

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Sounds like the classic Heat Soak problem on your current starter and most likely time to replace. Don't believe you can get just the Solenoid for these anymore and most likely best to replace the whole thing anyway. X2 on the Corvette starter if you go this route and you won't be disappointed.

Not a bad idea to clean your Battery Cables and connections at the battery. In addition, take the time to remove and Clean ALL Grounds in the engine bay. Clean up the metal contact points with some fine sand paper or similar and then coat everything with Dielectric grease during reassembly. Grounds are located at the Passenger Fender, right above the Timing cover on the Block and 3 or 4 wires at the Coil/ICM assembly.

X2 on Gary's cables as well. If you find you need new cables, then his are well worth the extra money. Keep in mind that your current cables may "appear" fine, they can develop internal corrosion that is not well seen but can cause current flow issues.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the classic Heat Soak problem on your current starter and most likely time to replace. Don't believe you can get just the Solenoid for these anymore and most likely best to replace the whole thing anyway. X2 on the Corvette starter if you go this route and you won't be disappointed.

Not a bad idea to clean your Battery Cables and connections at the battery. In addition, take the time to remove and Clean ALL Grounds in the engine bay. Clean up the metal contact points with some fine sand paper or similar and then coat everything with Dielectric grease during reassembly. Grounds are located at the Passenger Fender, right above the Timing cover on the Block and 3 or 4 wires at the Coil/ICM assembly.

X2 on Gary's cables as well. If you find you need new cables, then his are well worth the extra money. Keep in mind that your current cables may "appear" fine, they can develop internal corrosion that is not well seen but can cause current flow issues.

What about shims? I read something about them and not sure if they are part of my OEM application.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
What about shims? I read something about them and not sure if they are part of my OEM application.
I don't typically use them unless they are there already. But each part can be different and have some small tolerance issues making something not fit correctly and shims may be required. When I converted over to the Vette Starter, I just bolted it on and been good for years now.

IIRC - they say that you should have a certain distance between the Ring Gear and Starter gear but can't remember what that measurement is. Kinda remember someone using a Paper clip once to check the gap but even those come in different sizes. I just never bother measuring the gap and have not seen a problem before on this or other starters I've done.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there just one generic starter for the '96 vette or do they differ depending on the vette motor?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Is there just one generic starter for the '96 vette or do they differ depending on the vette motor?
Any year for the Corvette LT1 engine will work. 1992-97 IIRC.

This + Garys cables are the best mods you can do.

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
Last sentence of Post #3 covers this.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Looking on line, both starters look drastically different! But I guess the fitment is the same?
As they should and why we do this mod. :smile2: It will sound quite different too than the original. The Vette Starter is much Smaller/Lighter but it bolts to the Block with the same 2 Bolts.

You may still have the small bracket on the backside of your starter that mounts to the block. Not sure if this bracket will work on the Vette Starter though. My bracket was long gone and is a PITA to use anyway but the starter does not miss it 1 bit. It works fine mounted to the block with just the 2 bolts.

One other thing you may need to do as others have is to get a little extra cable length to the starter. Since the Starter terminals on the Vette piece is a little further away, you may have to loosen the Cable Clamps for the Hot wire from the battery so it reaches the new starter. Not a big deal really, but just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed the Corvette starter no problem. Aside from laying on my back and having all that grease and grime fall on my face during the job, it was an easy install. The only other thing I needed to do was to straighten the prong/tab on the eye connector from the battery cable in order for it to seat properly on the starter connection. I did go with the Duralast unit from Autozone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts