Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

i know this is probably a stupid question; but i'm gonna ask it anyways:

i've been hooking up my wiring harness to my 96 impala engine -- however, there are two electrical cables that come from the positive cable which runs to the electrical center. I am not sure which one goes to the alternator, and which one goes to the starter. I already hooked up the small yellow wire with a circular terminal to the solenoid; i am just unsure of which cable goes to the starter Positive post. i don't want to fry anything!

any one have any hints on which one goes where? One of the cables has a flat metal endpiece, whereas the other has a rubber boot on the end; the one with the rubber boot is in better condition (appearance wise), so it would lead me to think that it is to go to the Positive post of the car, not the starter, and the flat ended connector would go to the starter... but again, i'm not sure.

any help would be much appreciated!

thanks,

Tyler W

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
The one with the rubber boot goes to the alternator.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
There are 3 cables from the positive battery terminal. The length dictates where they go. The shortest to the alternator, next to the aux starting post, and the longest to the starter. I don't have my original cables any more but with Innovative Wiring the starter cable is heavier gauge than the others - all are heavier than stock.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Innovative Wiring , the only place you need to go for the battery cables. As stated above , the length dictates where they go, kind of fool proof.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.