Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, I had a little extra time, so I decided to wash the Impala before going to work. After I pulled it out of the garage, I cut the motor, but still heard what sounded like an electric fan. I popped the hood and quickly determined that the starter was just spinning away, not trying to crank the engine, just spinning.

I pulled the + cable off the battery to stop it. Every time I touched the cable to the battery terminal, the starter would spin.

Since I had just replaced the starter 10 days ago, I figured it had to be a bad starter. I yanked it out and took it back to Poop Boys. They tested it and announced that it wasn't the starter. I argued the point.

After I got back home, I connected jumper cables to battery and starter. It would only engage when I jumped the solenoid, in other words, it seemed to be working fine.

I reinstalled the 10-day old starter, and it worked just fine after several test starts.

I discovered that the wire to the temp. sensor on the block was broken, so now I'm wondering if perhaps the wire had fallen down on the the solenoid connection and was activating the starter.

I know that sounds far-fetched, but what the hell, it could happen. right?

Any other thoughts? Ignition switch?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sooooooooooooo, last night as I was driving home in rush hour traffic, my stereo stopped playing. I glanced down and no lights on it, but all the idiot lights on the dash came on. My Imp had died at 60+mph. Came right back, but had a serious burning smell. I pulled into a parking lot at the first chance, popped the hood. More smell, but no evidence of fire or smoke. When I tried to re-start the car, no response.

Luckily, I had my traveling tools in the trunk as well as the small floor jack and a jack stand. I jacked the car up, yanked the hotter-than-hell starter off, wrapped it in an old floor mat from the trunk and took off walking toward Pep Boys. THIS time, the starter failed on all tests.

Got my new starter, walked back, installed it, and resumed my journey home. Whatta PITA!!! I told them the starter was bad!

·
Registered
483 Posts
damn i just had this issue with my powermaster starter....there reasoning was since i tried starting the car w/ the battery low it shot too many amps through the starter and fried the solenoid...this is my 3rd starter

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Sooooooooooooo, last night as I was driving home in rush hour traffic, my stereo stopped playing. I glanced down and no lights on it, but all the idiot lights on the dash came on. My Imp had died at 60+mph. Came right back, but had a serious burning smell. I pulled into a parking lot at the first chance, popped the hood. More smell, but no evidence of fire or smoke. When I tried to re-start the car, no response.

Luckily, I had my traveling tools in the trunk as well as the small floor jack and a jack stand. I jacked the car up, yanked the hotter-than-hell starter off, wrapped it in an old floor mat from the trunk and took off walking toward Pep Boys. THIS time, the starter failed on all tests.

Got my new starter, walked back, installed it, and resumed my journey home. Whatta PITA!!! I told them the starter was bad!
what brand? china POS

next time get the vett starter

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you replace a starter and the new one doesn't line up on the flywheel exactly like the old one did, it can "stick" on the flywheel and keep running. GM has shims to get the starter-flywheel spacing right so this doesn't happen.
This might be what happened to your starter.
My advice is to never replace the entire starter. Always keep your original starter nose which you know fits the engine correctly.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If you replace a starter and the new one doesn't line up on the flywheel exactly like the old one did, it can "stick" on the flywheel and keep running. GM has shims to get the starter-flywheel spacing right so this doesn't happen.
This might be what happened to your starter.
My advice is to never replace the entire starter. Always keep your original starter nose which you know fits the engine correctly.
Good advice, but very few will follow it...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Corvette LT1/LT4 starter FOR THE WIN!. About the same price as the stock LT1 starter, weighs less and uses less power. At least at AutoZone the Corvette starter with core charge is the same price or less than the stock LT1 starter before core charge, so you can buy it and not have to worry about returning it and still come out at about the same price. Search the forums for installation instructions for it. - Peter

·
Registered
154 Posts
I went through four starters this way about a year and a half ago. The thread is gone now. But back then it had never happened in the history of mankind. I have been waiting. Whatever the problem was it occurred with Advance better grade starters. I don't know what POS level they are.

I examined every piece of wire and removed the dash to the firewall. In the end I bought a straight drive starter with no gear reduction. I said just give me a 1970 small block starter. It was $30 and not a problem since.

The gear reduction starter has a "holding coil" and I think it was staying engaged. The older model does not.

From what I have read that big heavy starter should make my car lean way over to one side. It doesn't. I picked up the gear reduction and the straight drive and hefted the weight, WTF, ain't much difference.

Go buy the $30 starter. You will be happy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Starter Kept Spinning

I just had this problem tonight. The old starter had a cracked and broken housing where the it mated to the flywheel. Had the starter replaced and it seemed fine. Then tonight I hopped in to go home and it wouldn't stop spinning. Disconnected the battery, and pulled the starter. Inspected it, seemed fine, put it back on and drove home. Afraid to drive it again for fear it might leave me on the side of the road. Any updates on this issue? Is it a ground wire somewhere? Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts