Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For once, not actually strictly germane to the 94 Fleetwood I've been working on.

I have a GM last-gen B-body starter on a non-GM project I've been working on for years. I got it used from a junkyard and it was a recent looking AC Delco reman at the time (about a decade ago). According to my research at the time, it was the only one that would clear everything around the starter in this project, but I don't recall which year it was. It works great with no issues. However, given how parts have been vanishing I'm looking to get a spare, but I need to confirm what exactly it is first. Unfortunately, most of the part number is missing from the label and I've seen conflicting information online with regards to visual identification, so I thought I'd ask here. I think this is a PG260M starter off the last year of B-body or off the wagons. Any information would be appreciated, thanks. Pics are clickable for higher resolution.

IMG_2426

IMG_2427

IMG_2428

IMG_2429.JPG

IMG_2430.JPG

IMG_2432

IMG_2433.JPG

IMG_2484.JPG

IMG_2483

Thanks!

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,781 Posts
Okay, a few things:

I can't help on the part number, but, that definitely looks like one of our starters. I don't have one here to verify. I can tell you for sure that all of the starters from 94-96 LT1 B/D-bodies are interchangeable, even if there are different part numbers.

If you are looking to buy a starter, you absolutely want to buy the starter meant for the LT1 Corvette. This is ESPECIALLY true if you need clearance. The Vette starter is smaller, sounds cooler, and costs the same as a B/D unit. Most folks here on the forum like the Remy brand. They are available both remanufactured and brand new.

Screenshot_20210716-154424.png

Reactions: Marky Dissod

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like an ACDELCO 3371023
I'm seeing different conflicting pictures for that part number - some that don't look like it:

and some that do:

Okay, a few things:

I can't help on the part number, but, that definitely looks like one of our starters. I don't have one here to verify. I can tell you for sure that all of the starters from 94-96 LT1 B/D-bodies are interchangeable, even if there are different part numbers.

If you are looking to buy a starter, you absolutely want to buy the starter meant for the LT1 Corvette. This is ESPECIALLY true if you need clearance. The Vette starter is smaller, sounds cooler, and costs the same as a B/D unit. Most folks here on the forum like the Remy brand. They are available both remanufactured and brand new.
Remy was recently bought by Borg-Warner so I'm not exactly sanguine about their quality remaining high.

I have seen the LT1 Vette starters around, but I vaguely recall there was a reason why that wouldn't fit - it's been more than a decade since I looked into it and I can't find anything in my notes from that time. I'd have to get ahold of one and do some trial fitting to to see what the deal was - as it has a transmission conversion kit, starter fitment is a bit odd. The original instructions (written in the 70s or 80s and never updated by the cheapskate vendor) were to use a big old 5 or 10MT starter and fabricate new trans cooler lines to route around it, which I thought ridiculous so I went for a smaller, more powerful modern starter instead. You can see that the B-body starter clears everything just fine in the pictures. It may have been something about the orientation of the solenoid or electrical connections that lead me to skip the Vette starter - I looked into a bunch of different PMGR GM starters to get to this one.

What precipitated this was the 94 Caddy I've been working on had the starter go bad, which has lead me to think about this other project as it uses the same starters. I do have some great local alternator and starter rebuilders, but they're a bit old fashioned and they insist on bringing the starter in for identification instead of getting pictures by email. I'm less than inclined to pull a currently perfectly working starter off a car in the height of Texas summer. :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts