Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'95 9c1, 145k, good maintenance record.

So naturally my water pump decides to breathe it's dying antifreeze breath all over my opti, stranding me outside Sears. starts after a few crank attempts, and that has been standard starting protocol since that fateful day.

Car has always started first crank since purchased in '08. Alt and battery replaced in last 1000/5000 miles respectively, still started flawlessly during time of alternator death.

New WP is sealed tight, not leaking out of my aquarium hose weep tube or the gaskets. Replaced o-rings on shaft. Starter may be factory. No evidence of fresh oil behind the wp.
I'm sure the trouble starting is a classic opti failure issue, but once the car finally cranks to life after a few attempts it runs great! No stumbles or hesitation.. The same could not be said beforehand.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Check fuel pressure, could just be a fluke. Also make sure your Opti vent harness is working. You should get a weak vacuum from the blue elbow attached to the intake duct.

If that checks out, it's probably the Opti.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Made sure vent hoses weren't clogged and restrictors were working correctly. Sprayed some contact cleaner into the opti and dried it thoroughly with a blow gun, not a lick of difference starting or running. Will check fuel pressure tomorrow

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
So naturally my water pump decides to breathe it's dying antifreeze breath all over my opti, stranding me outside Sears.
word, I got stranded outside sears too last summer when the fuel pump gave out cwm3

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't got around to checking fuel pressure yet, car still running well, always starting after a few tries.
Will look for a fuel pressure gauge at work today, considering a Vette starter as well.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuel pressure reading is as follows- 41psi during prime,36psi KOEO, 32psi running at idle and 27psi right after shutdown. Will check reading again in 10 minutes or so.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Seems a bit low. Also see what it reads when you pull the vacuum line off the FPR. Should maintain pressure after sut down ~ dropping to 27 so quickly indicates a possible fuel pump anti drain back valve problem.

Also, turn the key on/off to prime the fuel pump a few times before starting to see if that helps. This would show it's losing pressure/prime if it starts right up after doing so.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checking over grounds while I was waiting for the fuel pressure gauge to leak down, found an overtightened/loose ground to the trunk lid. Assuming it had something to do with the fuel pump, because the car seems to start a lot more readily.. though not quite 100% just yet.

Could still just be a fluke like Cletus mentioned.. looks like i'll be throwing that Vette starter in after all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts