Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok car was making like a ticking/clicking noise up under car. Stopped the car started and the starter stuck, turned it of real quick. Now when I turn it over I just hear a clicking noise. Is that the starter? And if so how hard to replace?

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Ok car was making like a ticking/clicking noise up under car. Stopped the car started and the starter stuck, turned it of real quick. Now when I turn it over I just hear a clicking noise. Is that the starter? And if so how hard to replace?
starter was stuck?

na starters are easy to replace...just disconnect the bat first!!!!!!!

ask me how i know

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does that sound like the starter and how do I replace it. I dont feel like getting raped by a shop

·
Registered
15 Posts
does that sound like the starter and how do I replace it. I dont feel like getting raped by a shop
It's not real hard to replace them. On the RM with the original large starter, there is a frame bracket in the way or the exhaust must be dropped. I put one of the hitorq mini starters in mine when I replaced the engine so I have not removed one from an RM in the car. If you remove the frame bracket, I'm told the starter will come out. GET ONE of THE small ones to install and next time you won't have to remove the bracket.

Once the the negative battery cable is disconnected, raise the car and place on jackstands. DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT JACK STANDS AND THE REAR WHEELS CHOCKED. Remove the offending bracket. Remove the 2 bolts holding the starter. Remove the cables and the small wire from the solenoid. Installation is the reverse of removal.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
The center bolt on the bracket is a pain to remove, but if you are persistant, it will come off. You can jam an open end wrench in the area for the nut to keep it from spinning, and to tighten it. I forget what size it is though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts