Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 1996 Impala SS back in late January of this year, knowing that it had some issues. So far I have gotten all of the gremlins ironed out, except for one. Occasionally I will turn the key and get nothing. The warning lights come on on the dash, and power accessories are still fine, but no cranking over at all. Basically the same symptoms of a completely dead battery, but with the battery being fine. Among the lights that come on on the dash is the "Pass Key Fault" light. I've been told that this means I have a bad neutral safety switch. Well that has been replaced. Next step was to remove the aftermarket alarm that was put on it. Still no luck. The idea is that when this happens, if I wait about 10 minutes and try again, it usually starts. Any idea what is left to chase down?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
The battery may not be suspect, but can't eliminate it unless thoroughly tested.

Same symptoms on my SS 2 months ago it was the starter.

Is car "hot" when this happens? Could be resistance from poor ground(s), or connections, and in a variety of locations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It happens when it's a cold start or when it's been running for a while, then shut off. Basically it's become almost a pattern. Starts 3-4 times in a row, then it will do this. Then the pattern starts over. I'll take a look at the starter and see what I can figure out from that.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
. Next step was to remove the aftermarket alarm that was put on it. Still no luck.
really confirm you have eliminated all aspects of the aftermarket alarm AND make sure car wiring was not corrupted where it was spliced into from alarm

also 20+ year old battery cables should be replaced

Innovative Wiring LLC

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
really confirm you have eliminated all aspects of the aftermarket alarm AND make sure car wiring was not corrupted where it was spliced into from alarm

also 20+ year old battery cables should be replaced

Innovative Wiring LLC
We've seen this alarm issue more than once in the past. Wiring hacked into and then it causes problems.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I used to have problems like that. Turned out to be the positive battery post and the "disc" that is imbedded in the positive cable. Try changing both. It cured my issues that were driving me crazy for a while.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
I had strange hard-start gremlins and the disc on my old FWB looked grotee (is that still a term?) like patina on old cast iron pan. I sprayed muriatic acid followed with dielectric grease and looked inoffensive again. Problem gone.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
There is also a wire inside of ignition lock , which may be on its way.Bypassing the system with the right resistor "on car's side" may cure the problem. I have done it on all my Cadillacs.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
This is a pass key fault issue as HUF stated. I started to have this issue with my car so I bought the correct resistor and installed it on the car side with a toggle switch in between so I can still prevent the engine from cranking and the fuel pump from running when the switch is turned off.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts