Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started building my new CAI. I got the idea from a local former SS owner. He used PVC. Im still up in the air between black or polished aluminum. Prob use the plasti dip so I can go back and forth on the color/look. This is just mocked up. Have to order the extensions and 45' s in aluminum to match the tee off the throttle body. Also need to order some more red couplers. Let me know what ya think.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
so is the battery in the trunk ?
-ALF out...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so is the battery in the trunk ?
-ALF out...
Battery is being moved to the trunk this winter. Trying to get a cleaner look for shows.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
List of items used? And where did you get the.couplers from?

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Yes, please share the details! I would be interested in trying this. Do you have any details on what it took to relocate the battery to the trunk?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The "Y" coming off the throttle body, red coupler, and filters are off ebay. They are made for the C5 corvette. The black couplers are all home depot plumbing supplies. They are 3" couplers. Even the one from the throttle body to the MAF is 3". The temporay extensions off the Y are 3.5" driveshaft tubes followed by 3" 45 PVC elbow. The steel and pvc are being replaced by polished aluminum pieces by Spectre. Probably use them for couplers as well since I am wanting them in red. Still checking around for prices for 3.5" stainless T bolt clamps.

The battery relocation kit is coming from Jegs and should have just about everything I need to move it back there.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, please share the details! I would be interested in trying this. Do you have any details on what it took to relocate the battery to the trunk?
I've been researching the battery relocation for some time now. The plan is to mount the battery in the trunk just behind the back seat up on the ledge. Running positive cable up to the engine compartment underneath the car. The ground will go to the frame. Still up in the air on all the specifics but I will post up pics of it when I finally get around to doing it. Probably will not happen until after the holiday season.

The guy who gave me this idea made his intake completely out of PVC. This was my original plan as well. The car has become less of a daily driver and more of a show\Sunday cruiser so I going for a little more bling.

Here is the guys car that gave me the idea. Only pic I have of his car\intake.

·
Premium Member
872 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the good thing for me is that I already have a 1/0 gauge wire going to the trunk, and another 1/0 gauge coming from my trunk to my frame rail. (my stereo system) I saw the kit ebay ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUAL-TWIN-I...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item45fe374a33 ), but I like how you extended it. I'm definately keeping an eye on your progress. Looks really good.
Thanks for the compliments guys. They stared offering the kit for our cars shortly after I bought mine. Too bad, because the corvette one has a 1" hole for a sensor in it I have to plug. The battery relocation would be a breeze for you then seeing how you already have the cable ran.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No more PVC or Steel

Got my polished Spectre intake pieces and got them mocked up. Found a cheaper source for the polished pieces after recieving mine. The link was saved in my favorites from someone who posted it on here for a couplers source. Silcone couplers and polished aluminum link. Best price I have found so far for the couplers and stainless t bolts as well. Still have some more research and searching the web for info and sources for these before I order though. If I need more polished pieces I will definately be ordering from this site though. The Spectre pieces finish is good but not excellent. Flat spots from the polishing and even a few dings. I will be able to keep all the defects facing down so they will not be seen but its just the fact that they are there. Even emailed Summit Racing about them and all they said was thanks for letting them know about the problem. Anyways, here are the pics with the new polished pieces in place. More pics when I get some couplers and figure out the heat shield/boxs.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
looking good

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The filters are not Spectre but the ones that came with the twin intake piece. Relocating the battery is a winter project so not 100% sure how bad it will be. Will post pics when I do it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Got my polished Spectre intake pieces and got them mocked up. Found a cheaper source for the polished pieces after recieving mine. The link was saved in my favorites from someone who posted it on here for a couplers source. Silcone couplers and polished aluminum link. Best price I have found so far for the couplers and stainless t bolts as well. Still have some more research and searching the web for info and sources for these before I order though. If I need more polished pieces I will definately be ordering from this site though. The Spectre pieces finish is good but not excellent. Flat spots from the polishing and even a few dings. I will be able to keep all the defects facing down so they will not be seen but its just the fact that they are there. Even emailed Summit Racing about them and all they said was thanks for letting them know about the problem. Anyways, here are the pics with the new polished pieces in place. More pics when I get some couplers and figure out the heat shield/boxs.

Man this looks great, really interested in doing the same. I was just wondering what is the length of the pipes? My car is parked up far away and i would of measured it myself if it was closer. So if you happen to know or remember from when u ordered yours it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The extensions I added to the Y are about 10" long. The Y is 3.5" diameter so in order to get the correct length\diameter from Spetre I had to order a 24" long piece and cut it down. The link I posted has the 3.5" in one foot sections so you would need two of them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The extensions I added to the Y are about 10" long. The Y is 3.5" diameter so in order to get the correct length\diameter from Spetre I had to order a 24" long piece and cut it down. The link I posted has the 3.5" in one foot sections so you would need two of them.
o ok thanks alot man. Also what degree are the elbows to the filters?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.