Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys!

Cranks a long time before starting?

Well My Problem Is My 96 Impala Is Taking Longer To Start! I Don't Know Why It Just Started A Couple Of Days Ago! Before The Car Just To Start Right Up! In Just 3 Seconds! Right Now It Takes A Little Longer Like Probably 7-9 Seconds! Cranks And Cranks Untill Its Starts! But Takes Longer!

Doesnt Any Body Knows What May Be?

Thanks

· Registered
16 Posts
Could be a few things. The first thing I'd check is fuel pressure, given your description.

If you don't already have one (I don't know what stores you have available in your area) I purchased an Actron unit from Sears. I believe AutoZone should be able to loan something like this out as well.

The test port is at the back of the intake manifold with a black cap on it. It should be fairly easy to identify as it is integral with the tube which connects to the passenger side fuel rail, IIRC.

I don't know exactly what the specification is but I believe it's around 43psi +/- a few, when you turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position aka: KOEO (key on engine off). When you turn the key on without turning the engine, the fuel pump operates for ~2 seconds then shuts off. You should check to see that pressure is maintained for five minutes or so after you turn the key on. This checks the integrity of the injectors, the fuel pressure regulator and the check valve in the fuel tank, as well as all of the lines in between.

0.02 - I will now pipe down to leave room for the gurus.

-Matt

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Try this next time. Turn the key on, let the pump prime, turn the key off........turn the key back on, let the pump prime, then try to start it. If that 'cures' the long crank time then it is probably the anti-drainback valve in the pump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.