Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one use pipe as a radiator hose?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like this but maybe powder coated. I assume muffler pipe would rust?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Would need to be made of stainleSS steel at the very least.

Copper like Cool Flex uses would be the ideal (expensive though).

I would just break down and order a full set of Samco Silicone Hoses for the LT1 before I went through the haSSles of fabricating up solid stainleSS piping with hose ends.

Side Note: NIB Cool Flex kit for sale here:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=250316

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
You can replace alot of hoses for that price.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cant find a pic any where of this style set up, but when im not thinking about it i see it all the time. I like the look better than the cool flex hoses i just cant see spending 3-400 on hoses so i thought making them out of pipe i could be more creative and keep it on a lower budget.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I got some pics from the Good Guys show. This guy put all chrome hoses and even replaced the radiator with one that has a cap so he could delete the coolant resvoir. Its a pretty slick set-up, but I don't know if I would do that to anything but a show car.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you can delete the coolant resevior?!!! i want mine gone so i have more room for the wheels, i was going to swap radiators from a 91-93 but wasnt sure if it would work. Someone let me know a definite answer please...
Im going to the Street Rod Nationals this weekend at the fairgrounds hopefully there will be some hot rods that i can get some ideas from.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The LT1 needs to have somewhere for the steam pipe to go. It comes from the back of the heads thru the throttle body then to the coolant tank. It also needs to be at the high point in the cooling system in order to prevent steam pockets in the cooling system. The tank on the b-body is more like a surge tank that a resevoir.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The steam line on a '93 Camaro LT1 goes to the upper rad hose.

It has a standard type rad with rad cap.

That is where I have mine going on my '66.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did the throttle body bypass, so would i even need to worry about this?
That '93 piece looks like it would solve the problem but since mine doesnt go through the throttle body i think it may work.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now i got it. This is what im gonna do

Radiator is fliped facing you. Then i can run metal hoses and tap a fitting into the line for the steam hose and this eliminates the huge tank on the fender.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts