Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steering box is leaking out the bottom. Sometimes not at all for days then other times it will rip for days. I am told there are gaskets/seals up in there. Is that a job I could do? I currently have the power steering unit and lines out cause they all leaked also, ha ha ha, so I am replacing them. But this box thing, never touched one of those. Can I do it? Special tools needed???

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
It is easier to replace the box, but most decent shade tree mechanics should be able to replace the seals. There are a couple of special tools. You should have a FSM for reference, although the repair kit should have instructions. They should also tell you what tools you need.

·
Registered
586 Posts
We had a pitman shaft seal failure on our 95 9C1 a few years back. I think it's because of the 17" wheels and big sticky tires, but one day my wife pulled into the driveway, and fluid just poured out from around the pitman arm.

Other than being a real mess to work on (laying on your back on the driveway while fluid drips on you as you work), it really wasn't that big a deal. You'll need a big-a$$ socket or wrench to pull the pitman shaft nut and a pitman arm puller (available for free 'rental' from most national auto parts stores). I think I had to use a pick to get the seals out, but really don't remember all the details. The kit wasn't too expensive, and we've had no problems with leaks since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts