Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new steering box for my 9c1 police pkg Caprice (2 1/2 turns lock to lock) but can't seem find one. Everything available is the 3 1/2 turn models....Can anyone help ?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
I bought 1 from Advance (think brand was Fenco) and with the ("big35"code -$35 off) discount got it for about $80. Just exchanged my old stock Caprice unit for the Core charge and no one was the wiser.

When I last checked their site, they listed both the standard Caprice box and another "with Police package" which is the quicker ratio.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Shoot - almost forgot, I have a 96 9C1 I'm parting and the steering box is available if interested. I'd sell it for $100 which is half of the AZ reman part.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Unless you really need the quicker ratio, the slower one will work as a replacement. Your steering will be more accurate, because you can turn the wheel more for the same output.

Reuse your Pittman arm, because some of the B/D body cars are slightly different. The Pittman arm is not a wear item, so, unless you bend it, it is good for the life of the car.

If you really need the quicker ratio, get yours rebuilt, or use it as a core for a rebuilt one. The bearings and sector shaft should probably be replaced. They are both wear items.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
FYI if you do need to swap Pitman Arms.... That nut takes a "Yuge" Torque and think it was approx 180 Ft Lbs.!! My Torque Wrench only goes up to 150. >:)

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
I just put it on as tight as I can get it with a pipe on the breaker bar.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Rebuild It

I have always had better luck rebuilding original vehicle components than buying rebuilt from a parts store.

I would give Lee power steering a call and see what they can do for you before buying a parts store reman.

Just my experience.

Doug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts