Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Steering box?

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  visualillusions 
#1 ·
I swear I did a search.;)

I am looking for a new steering box for my wagon. I read someplace that AGR is questionable at best, yet they seem to be the only people making a high performance 12:1 box I can find. What part number is the correct one for our cars from AGR?

Thank you
Bill

#9 · (Edited)
You seem to have your mind made up, regardless of the reports of less than satisfactory outcomes using the AGR steering box.

Why not try communicating with the manufacturer instead of asking Forum members and then disregarding what they have to say?

I have no opinion on AGR, since I've already found what works for me.
That is just it. I did not have my mind made up Bill until I was given my options in this thread. But I would not spend $500 on a steering box for a $2500 car. So I was really looking for options beside a box that many have reported bad, or spending out the door for. But if those are my only two choices, then I would take the AGR because of cost. I was not asking for opinions then ignoring them, just that my other option is more than I can afford or willing to spend.
And what would I ask the manufacturer? I would be looking for an opinion from those who have used the AGR box in thier car. The manufacturer is always going to say their product is the best. I guess in the end, I thought their was more choices out there.

#10 ·
You would ask AGR what the differences are between the two boxes you posted about. An Autozone rebuild is an even cheaper option that I tried and replaced, IIRC.

#11 ·
I was just about to post this. I had a strange pull only on off ramps. After replacing everything in my steering except the box it was still there. I found a box at Autozone for $85 (cost $130 now) and it solved my problem. That was seven or eight years ago and still no problems.

#12 ·
It's been a long time, but my recollection is that the first AZ rebuild I got was re-assembled off center. The second had play on center. After that I tried the AGR. It was ok, but had play on center too. I think it was not too different from the AZ rebuild, just pricier. I was ok with it for a long time, but then I parked the car for a bit and started driving an Infiniti (now long gone) as my daily. When I got back in the Imp for the first time after a few months, I couldn't stand how sloppy it felt. That's when I went to the Detroit Speed steering gear. It's excellent and puts the car on an even footing with pretty much any other vehicle, rack and pinion or otherwise.

#13 ·
High performance and cheap almost never coexist...spend the money on the Detroit Speed box or spend your time removing and replacing the cheaper boxes until you are either happy or so beaten into submission by the task that you convince yourself it's good enough.

If you're going to use the $2500 value of the car as a limiting factor for what you spend on the car, then why replace the gear box at all? Just drive it until the wheels fall off...

#14 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. I had thought about Autozone, or pep boys where I work, but if the boxes are like the springs and other stuff they sell, it would be a crap shoot as to whether I would actually get the fast ratio box or not. A couple of the companies list the same part number for both impala, and standard caprice.
I was looking for options and opinions, and I got them thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.