Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86' Caprice. Yes i know, box with a dinky 305. Im workin on getting a 96 9C1 or impala, but thats besides the point. My question is if I can put an impala or maybe even corvette steering box in my 86. The gears have gotten sloppy and I have about 25* of slop in my wheel just at the box. And i figure while im replacing it, i might as well lower the lock to lock below 5 atleast. Ive heard of people using corvette boxes I believe. (something like 2.5 lock to lock) and i was wondering if this would bolt right into my old school caprice.
Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Riggi, From what I understand from some guys that have done it, An IROC Z (late 80'2-'92)steering box will work in a boxy Caprice, they have quick ratios & good feel. there are also steering box rebuilders that can do good things with your box, I've seen a few write ups in Car Craft, Hot Rod & Chevt Hi-Performance, good luck.

------------------
Pete M. '96 DCM SS, '96 B4U Caprice, '91 9C1, '69 Impala spt cpe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.