Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long story short...my car was stolen and they broke my 94IMP steering column. I have a used steering column from a 9C1 Caprice but its missing alot of wires for what i believe is twilights, cruise control, Vatts key, and some other stuff. has anyone had experience with disassembly and propper assembly?

what exatly does the notice on the steering column mean. what coil? and aligned with what?

"Improper alignment of coil ASM may damage unit causing inflatable restraint system malfunction. See GM service manual for proper alignment pocedure before removal"

^^^ Does anyone have this procedure? ^^^

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
There's an alignment coil in the column that prevents the air bag from deploying if the steering wheel is in certain positions. It must be set properly. For this kind of job you need a factory service manual.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Twilight sentinel is not in the steering column on B-bodies. And for the cruise control 94-96 9C1 columns do have that just is a "jumper" wire running from the base of the column to the top of the column by the turn signal switch. What you may be able to do is just swap the parts you need from the 9C1 column over to your current Impala SS column. You may want to check out Stolen and Recovered as they have step by step videos on the tear down of GM steering columns.

As far as the SIR coil as long as it is not rotated after being detached from the steering column you will be fine as it has a locking mechanism to prevent it from turning. - Peter

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
This may not end up worth much depending on what you're doing, but I had my s.wheel on my FWB disconnected at the firewall for some reason I can't remember now. But I made the mistake of turning the key to 'On' and the SIR coil had enough torsion to spin the s.wheel out of position. I spent alot of time inside the FSM making sure to get the wheel centered back properly; - over-rotating can break the coil, and I was sweating bullets imagining the dam bag might blow me up any second.cwm4

HTH

Take Cletus'- advice and get a FSM. And pcordes'- link is damn neat. That business uses a novel strategy that likely the majority of readers will still utilize their services despite posting all the instructions for repairs. For many folks the instructions may appear so frightful it actually 'drives' customers to their door. Interesting.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all- I took apart 3 steering columns. i know them in and out now, down to the shaft. if any one has a problem PM me

·
Registered
12 Posts
sloppy column

Hi. About to do the front end dance on my 91 caprice. I want to tighten up the column itself as i was told to tighten up the four (?) bolts in the init before the firewall to make it all new again...is there a post about taking it apart and tighening the bolts.
I am putting in the Jeep Shaft, Impala quick steeting box, center link,
a arm bushings. ball joints are new.
I was going to use the impala steering box lines to my Lo3 motor power steering resevoir. The one line has a sensor on it...do you know what that does?
Thanks...
Obrian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you tell the spline count for 96 chevy impala? Im try to replace with an after market but I need the spline count. ThankSS Willie

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was lucky enough to be able to use the pitman arm that came with the used steering box I got from a 95 Impala. It was in the exact right position to keep my steering wheel in the centered position. The new box takes some getting used to...it is much tighter than a Caprice box..and faster. I love it....slid right in. Can/'t help with the spline count....obrian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts