Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Steering column removal

7K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Z09B4U 
#1 ·
Is there a thread, or link to R&R a steering column?
Mine has slop in it, from top to bottom, and if I'm taking an exit ramp at speed, the wheel will drop to the next detent at times.

#2 ·
The column itself is most likely fine, you just need to tighten things up in the tilt mechanism. Swapping the whole column is about the same amount of work as fixing the one you have and less likely unknowns in my opinion (and less risk of damage).

Sorry I don't have a write up, but I believe it is in the service manual as to how to dis/re-assemble the tilt mechanism. It's a common issue with the GM columns, particularly when people use the steering wheel as a grab handle (like in lifted trucks, people grab on the wheel to lift themselves in the cab).

These or their equivalent are almost a must have to do the job.

Snap-on Store

Snap-on Store

#13 ·
Thanks! Clik, Save As. And agreeing it's a column not a rack! lol

#5 ·
I have had some success at tightening up those three big phillips screws. However,if they got loose due to the shifter bowl being cracked. They will loosen up again. Easier to swap out the entire column in my opinion...

#6 · (Edited)
The column swap is not all that hard. If you have the VATS, you need to either change the tumbler, get a correct resistor key made to match the current key, or swap the resistor in the key. If you do not have the key for the donor column, you must swap the tumbler. A word of caution, it is easy to break the chime switch when removing it, as you must when swapping the tumbler. The column swap is pretty straight forward. You can use any 94-96 column in a 94-96, and you can use any column in a 91, but the 91s do not have press brake to shift function. The column will still work, although you will not have a connector to hook up the press brake to shift. You can also use any column in a 92-93, but if you put a 91 column in, you will not have the press brake to shift. There are a few donor cars out there with a non tilt column, but they are rare. If you are going to swap key tumblers, you will need the lock ring removal tool, and a pick/needle nose pliers, and an exterior snap ring pliers.

I personally, would not try to fix the column you have, it is not guaranteed that your efforts will be successful, and the time to repair is probably higher than swapping the column, because you really need to remove it to work on it properly. While you have the column out, it is easy to install a Fleetwood flash to pass headlight switch, and wire it to work correctly. You must swap the high and low beam pins, and you need an extra pin in the connector, with a hot at all times wire to the pin on the high beam side.

#8 ·
Floor shift Impala columns are different from all other columns. I should have stated column shift columns.

#11 ·
There are three screws at the firewall, and the linkage to the trans. Depending on where you are in the disassembly process, there may be 2 screws that hold the column access, there are 4 screws to hold the knee bolster, and 4 screws that hold the loop. You will also have to remove the clip for the gear indicator. Why are you going through all of that extra work? Take the bolt out of the gearbox end, and just remove the intermediate shaft to work on it. It is just more work that does nothing to assist installing the intermediate shaft. You do not want to remove the column unless you absolutely have to. You can mess up adjustments of the neutral safety switch. The headlight connector, and a pair of connectors on the right side of the column are miserable to detach, and the ones on the right must be removed in the correct order. I have replaced at least 8 intermediate shafts, and have never even thought about removing the column while doing so. I am going to put a custom one in my 91 OCC with the 454, and will not be removing anything but the intermediate shaft, and installing the new one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.