Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a discussion in the suspension section, about the steering dampener, which center link to use, etc.
Since the wagons allready have the frame mount for the dampener end.
My question to the experts that can wade through all of those old confusing, (to me) posts.
Which dampener, part # and center link # would I use?
Or, do I use a 'universal' center link dampener mount?
Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
steering damnpner is a wonderful thing that completely isolates the driver from road 'feedback' so when your tie rod ends, and your balljoints are really worn out,. you'll hardly be able to feel a thing!! great eh?
jmho
nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since the sedans had them I would say just look up the parts number that fit those and I would think they would fit a wagon although I cant 100% for sure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
steering damnpner is a wonderful thing that completely isolates the driver from road 'feedback' so when your tie rod ends, and your balljoints are really worn out,. you'll hardly be able to feel a thing!! great eh?
jmho
nick
And my .02 on that one. What about this taking up a lot of the wear and tear the other front end parts take when not using the dampener? Guess no one likes extending the life of other front end parts by letting the dampener suck up all the roadhazards and not transferring as much to the other wearable parts. JMHO, from a different outlook on things.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by yohinan:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />steering damnpner is a wonderful thing that completely isolates the driver from road 'feedback' so when your tie rod ends, and your balljoints are really worn out,. you'll hardly be able to feel a thing!! great eh?
jmho
nick
And my .02 on that one. What about this taking up a lot of the wear and tear the other front end parts take when not using the dampener? Guess no one likes extending the life of other front end parts by letting the dampener suck up all the roadhazards and not transferring as much to the other wearable parts. JMHO, from a different outlook on things. </font>[/QUOTE]better check your physics on that one bud,..
its not like the dampner actually saves anything really,.everything is still connected solidly from one side to the other,.if you take a hit in a pot hole, the centrelink will still transfer the shock straight to the other side,. thru the idler arm,. in fact if you start autocrossing your car,. you'll find the powersteering heating up faster as it has to work against the dampner,.
but hey,. what do i know eh?
Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, bud......

It's obvious were both sticking with our own so we can leave it at that.

Or what the hey we can do like most like to and break out the flamethrowers..

Flame on!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys!
I just figgured out how to axcess the archived posts, through a PM suggestion.
I just got through with an hour and a half trek, in the steering dampener search.
Found all the answers I was looking for.
Thanks again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I found, and Im sure Im wrong, is that the dampener was only used on cars with the Variable ratio/variable assist steering systems.
Further, as I understand it, the cop cars ran a fast ratio version of this set-up, for a short period of time, that was allegedly TOO twitchy at speed, so they switched to a fast ratio, constant assist set-up, and then switched to a Firm Feel Fast Ratio set-up, which was the cats meow!! Thats what I recently put in my wag. BTW, I also have a Moog HD center link for the dampener, as it was my original plan to put one in, but have found it completely un-neccessary with the FF/FR steering set-up. If you want to know about the other hardware changes that should be made for the cop set-up, contact me directly.

D.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by yohinan:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, bud......

It's obvious were both sticking with our own so we can leave it at that.

Flame on!
OH YEAH!!!! :D
,..it's not so much my opinion as it is reports from others,. and my own experiences,
anytime i,ve gotten a wagon thats had a steering dampner on it, you couldn't feel a thing loose in the front end,.and in most cases stuff was worn quite bad,.a guy i know that works at a goodyear store, commented to me about the same thing one time when we were chatting about this steering dampner, how the car would drive so well yet be so worn out,.
if you ever want a quick report on the state of your front suspension, just bolt a set of impy wheels and tires on,. man do things get twitchy real fast!!
(when things are worn)
nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it was put on the cars to make it less twitchy with that alledged variable ratio/assist hydrolic steering box, by soaking up the lumps and bumps, which would explain why it made it so you couldnt feel the wear.

D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.