Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 caprice lt1 and recently while trying to turn the car is very hard to do i have to use two hands any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leaking water pump dripping on the belt making it slip.
Bad power steering pump.
I believe its the water pump making it slip because i changed the waterpump and i forgot to put plumbers tape on the thread so it leaked pretty bad on the belt...what steps should take to fix this problem?im gonna put plumbers tape on the water pump so what should i do after that?

·
Registered
372 Posts
10-4

You need plumbers tape for the threads of the fan/wp sensor that screws into the front of the water pump.

Just watch the weep hole for leaking after you fix that problem. Leaking weep hole means the water pump is going bad and can cause the belt to slip as well. Since yours is new, lets hope that doesn't happen.

Good luck.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10-4

You need plumbers tape for the threads of the fan/wp sensor that screws into the front of the water pump.

Just watch the weep hole for leaking after you fix that problem. Leaking weep hole means the water pump is going bad and can cause the belt to slip as well. Since yours is new, lets hope that doesn't happen.

Good luck.
Yea hopefully my waterpump doesnt mess since its brandnew...so after i put the tape on the threads of the sensor will the steering go back to how it was or will i have to do somethin else

·
Registered
372 Posts
As long as you are leak free and the belt is dry, you should be good.

If not, then the power steering pump is the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts