Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever experienced a surge in the steering wheel as you make minor corrections to your driving line? I am experiencing something that I haven't experienced before. As I go around a gentle radius, make a lane change, or make a minor correction; the steering wheel seems to lose "road feel" for a split second. The steering wheel seems to surge in the direction I'm turning. It only occurs while driving, and not while still. This seemed to begin after the car was sitting for 5 days with no use. It was fine 5 days before when I parked it. Could it be air in the steering system? Suspension issue? Any ideas?

Thanks
Constantine

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lotsa posts on this subject. search on variable assist steering, here's one
http://impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=35;t=000670#000000

so if you unplug the electrical connector on the steering pump you get full assist all the time, I dont particularly fancy it.

I sucked the fluid out of the reservoir w a vacuum bleeder, but you could use a turkey baster. I replaced with atf, did it twice and now the problem seems to have gone away. yippeee.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the turkey baster draw while running until it whined, and then just refilled with PS fluid as reg. maint. Now, that I recall that was like 6 or 8 months ago and have not noticed the jerk-over since.

I heard a rumor once PSF is just ATF without the dye. But, nothing's that simple.

Finally, I read where one of the regulars here actually rebuilt his pump and fixed it that way.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the sensor on the steering column up there near the firewall. It was kind of expensive, but it did the trick.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Eracer:
lot I replaced with atf, did it twice and now the problem seems to have gone away. yippeee.
it not really recomended to use atf for the power steering pump, if use atf, in the morning, the pump will whine, as in consecuense of damging the pump over time, just used power steering fluid, just to be safe

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
first i unplugged the connector at the firewall to put the system into full-assist (pinky drive mode) but this week i plugged the sensor back in and flushed the ps with new fluid. no problems now. i also went ahead tightened the steering box, feels great. i'd do that first, seems to work fine now.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the jerk too. But broke a p/s line. Once I replace the line and put new fluid in I was good to go, no more jerk....

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't personally recommend running long term with the connector unplugged as it will heat the fluid more.

Mine once in a while will seem like it sticks in the boosted mode on the highway. I don't like it at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts