Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
ss steering box

whats the dif between an steering boxa 9c1 box and a reg car box?

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Standard wagon typically has variable-rate (16:1 at center to 13:1 at full lock left & right), low-effort steering gear. Very little connection between steering wheel and the tire contact patch can be felt--best described as "numb".

9C1 & Impala SS (and Caprice B4U) have linear rate/ratio (12.7:1), with somewhat greater effort, and better "feel" compared to the production wagon gear.

Only concern (for me) is the unknown condition of many take-off steering gears, which I've expressed concern about numerous times in the past. Without knowing the source of a replacement steering gear picked up in a wrecking yard--collision impact point, mileage on the part or vehicle, whether the gear is contaminated (ie. full of water from sitting in a wrecking yard without protection), any indications of leakage, or any other indications of damage, obvious or not, etc--please use great caution.

If you feel capable of inspecting and qualifying a "wrecking yard" replacement steering gear (or have previous experience working on them), that is good. If you don't, seek the assistance of an expert or use the gear as a core for a rebuilt/remanufactured unit.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I ordered a custom box from Year One. It was rebuilt by Lares to have the SS stops and 3rd Gen IROC internals. This is a really great upgrade and fully rebuilt and warrantied.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts