Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY DGGM HAS ABOUT A 1 1/2" -2" PLAY IN THE STEERING WHAT CAN I DO I HEARD SOMEBODY ON THIS FORUM TALK ABOUT THE TOP OF THE GEAR BOX THAT THERE IS NUT WITH A ALLEN WRENCH SOCKET AND TO TURN IT 1/4 WHICH WAY AND DO YOU GUYS THINK THIS IS WHAT MY CAR NEEDS BESIDES THE TOTAL FRONT END REBUILD THAT PLAY JUST BUGS ME. :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RuSS,

I suggest you fix the wear in the front end and steering linkage first, then see where things stand with the steering gear.

Yes, there is a backlash/preload adjustment on the top of the steering gear, and it can be used to tweak the amount of play you might feel, but realize that the steering gear itself wears too. It might turn out to be that you will need to rebuild or replace the gear itself, but fix everything else first, and if you do make any adjustments on the gear, be VERY careful, and make small changes, including doing sort of an A-B-A scenario where you adjust (never more than 1/4 turn), test the car, return the adjustment to where you started, and IF the condition goes back to the "worse" side, reset the adjustment to the new setting.

You should also take a look at the pivoted shaft joint, which should be covered in a molded rubber "boot" at the base of the steering column in the engine compartment--the flex joint that connects to the steering gear--and be sure it is not contributing to the lost motion in some way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That adjustment on the steering box is the LAST thing you should mess with. Check everything else first. Idler arm, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods and center link are all more likely. Especially the idler arm.
And check the camber adjustment shims on the upper A arms, I discovered Friday I had some fall out :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys i will be rebuilding the front end hopefully by the end of the month and i will jump on here again and let you know the results. :D :D :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.