Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

steering wheel radio buttons

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Fred Kiehl 
G
#1 ·
Sorry for a second post about my steering wheel, but it's kinda a different topic...

I don't know why but Buick never had the steering wheel buttons on the Raodmasters, although they had them on just about every other Buick in 96.

I've already changed my radio to that of a 97 Regal (my cd player stopped working). I was just wondering, if i also changed the center part of the wheel, how hard would it be to hook up the buttons to the radio?

I can get the center part including air bag from ebay for about 30 bucks, all buttons included (and they guarantee the bag is NEW, never blown).

Has anyone ever done this before??

Thanks again.

G
#2 ·
It can be done only thing is you will also have to replace the SIR coil that goes down the steering column, with one form a car that has the controls. Plus run one wire from the back of the radio, not sure what pin but I have the information, and one wire from 12 volts and probly instrument lights and a ground.

But it will control the radio, even the one that came in the car.

Barry

#5 ·
Hey Barry, By controlling the radio, I am assuming that everyone is trying to use the factory radio. Would these basic controls such as volume work with an aftermarket head unit? I currently have an Alpine ILX-W650 and I've been told that it is compatible with steering wheel controls.

Max

G
#3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 96roadmaster:
I don't know why but Buick never had the steering wheel buttons on the Raodmasters, although they had them on just about every other Buick in 96.

I've already changed my radio to that of a 97 Regal (my cd player stopped working). I was just wondering, if i also changed the center part of the wheel, how hard would it be to hook up the buttons to the radio?

I can get the center part including air bag from ebay for about 30 bucks, all buttons included (and they guarantee the bag is NEW, never blown).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have. I used a wheel from a blue 95 Riv in my 1993 9C1. The controls are part radio, part temp, etc.. But the resistance pulses are the same. It worked great with my factory head unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.