Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, the steering wheel would not return quickly to its straight position after completing a turn. What could be the problem?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
?Maybe a galled steering dampener shock? If no outright damage or bind from wear, then an alignment is due to correct the caster. Are you having any indication that alignment spacers fell out at the UCAs and frame?

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Try removing the steering damper. It will not cause any adverse problems, and you will know if that is the issue immediately. Beyond that I would suspect the steering gearbox itself. The ball type joints in the rest of the gear would go loose if they were to do anything, especially if they were worn out.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the replies, gents. I'll jack it up and, grease and look if I notice anything. Will try the damper as well.

The PS makes hissing noise while making turns in a parking lot. I was told that's normal. Nevertheless, I believe the noise is louder than it was before.

Will also replace the PS fluid by sucking up and refilling. Do not want to disconnect any pressure lines at the moment.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
UPDATE. Lifted the front end up to look for any visible problem. Did not find anything. Greased all the seven points except the ball joint which couples the steering linkage relay rod to the pitman arm. Could not get any grease into the related fitting.

Could it be the culprit causing poor steering wheel returnability? What is the fix?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you having any indication that alignment spacers fell out at the UCAs and frame?
You mean the the front upper control arm shims? I'll check them out, but I do not know how many were installed initially.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Yah, and the nut is friction fit. Regardless how many spacers you have or had, any that fell out will leave a gap, - along with giving you a clunk when you turn or hit a bump.

And, I think you're referring to the idler arm. If you can't get grease in it after replacing the zirk then replace the arm. If it wobbles at all then replace it. If it's over 3 years old then replace it.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yah, and the nut is friction fit. Regardless how many spacers you have or had, any that fell out will leave a gap, - along with giving you a clunk when you turn or hit a bump.

And, I think you're referring to the idler arm. If you can't get grease in it after replacing the zirk then replace the arm. If it wobbles at all then replace it. If it's over 3 years old then replace it.
No, it is the ball joint to the pitman arm. Please see the picture. The idler arm has been replaced two years ago by the previous owner (the dealer).

As for the noise, I do not get any clunk when I hit a bump. Nevertheless, I can hear a clicking noise (like a coin in a can), but cannot understand where it is coming from. The frequency of the clicks is speed-dependent.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts