Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm sick of my '93 RMW floppy horn buttons. I've thought about all of the nice wheels out there without airbags ... but what about the options for this 1993 if I wanted to maintain an airbag?

I even prefer the '94-96 wheels, but will the airbags work with the older 1993? It's all gen1 stuff so I would guess 'yes' but I've never heard of anybody doing this. Same thing for something like a Monte wheel, or even an old SS wheel?

Thanks from Louisiana.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Most airbags up to 96 should work. The horn buttons in those are not much better than the 91-93s. I ditched my airbag, and put an aftermarket wheel on mine. The airbags on the 91-96s are actually dangerous, and can hurt you more than the seatbelt. I was in a T-bone accident at 55mph about 25 years ago and the belt caught me before I hit the wheel. I think the airbags are overkill, and sometimes just a killer.

The horn buttons for the 91-93s have a monofilament line that holds the switch together. If it breaks the switch becomes floppy, and will eventually break completely. If the switches still work, you may be able to repair them, by putting another piece of monofilament in and tie it off properly. If you choose to repair them, put two lines in as a failsafe.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fred, it's hard for me to walk away from something that "should" be a safety feature but I understand what you're saying about the early gen. airbags. I've read up on the buttons and even found a nice picture of how they're supposed to be held in place with that fishing line type stuff. I've thought about trying to fix them ($67 new off ebay talks me out of replacing them with more defective parts), we'll see. I appreciate the info on the steering wheels.

I do kind of like some of the bagless Lumina / Monte sport options if I decide to go that route eventually. Maybe I should upgrade the breaks and call that an improvement over the airbag? SSBC slotted rotors?

-Leland

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
You can get a lot of really nice wheels on ebay for cheap. I have a classic Nardi in one of my cars, and swappable wheels in the other...one is a MOMO, and the other has no name brand on it, but it is all wood, even the horn button (it is a cover over the actual one).

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
1998 Monte Carlo SS Wheel with a Firebird S.I.R. Coil. Even hooked up the Radio Controls.

Fits perfectly and retains the ultra deadly Airbag. They make me nervous in any car but plenty of people have survived terrible B Body wrecks.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
well the air bag caught me on fire, but beyond that it saved me.

just remember to turn ur head

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
CRAP wolf, that sucks!!cwm4 Glad your ok. On this, what are some options for a 96? All's I seem to find are hubs that go up to 94.:confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can get a lot of really nice wheels on ebay for cheap. I have a classic Nardi in one of my cars, and swappable wheels in the other...one is a MOMO, and the other has no name brand on it, but it is all wood, even the horn button (it is a cover over the actual one).
did you run into issues with the turn signal switch rubbing your column after installing the aftermarket hub?

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
It is not the turn signal switch rubbing the column, it is the tabs that hold the clock spring in alignment on the inside of the bezel. You can remove them with a Dremel, or razor saw.

Reactions: Marky Dissod
1 - 10 of 10 Posts