Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i gave my dad a 91 9C1 that my brother used to drive, it has been mostly sitting around last 3-4 years. i changed springs, installed bilstein shocks, rebuilt the front end, installed a dual hump cross member and jegs exhaust, changed driveshaft, installed 9C1 tranny cooler, new alternator and a bunch of other stuff.

i swapped in the steering box from a 95 9C1 which is known to be a good box bc i drove the donor car, and i aligned it. but i still have the same steering problem and it is really pissing me off bc i did all this work but the car is really difficult and not safe to drive.

basically it is very hard to steer and does not return easily. when i make a turn or change lanes the steering feels heavy and "sticky" like it wants to stay where it is and does not return effortlessly like it is supposed to, i kind of have to help it back. it is not that it is loose (that would be the box anyway, but the box is good), just hard to control bc i am always fighting the steering. and it effectively oversteers on turns. really sucks.

doesn't seem like it can be related to the pump. something in the steering column? i can swap in another column. will a 94 column work? everything else has been changed. any ideas? thanks.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Check the adjustment nut on top of the box. It may be overtightened, not letting it return to center.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why try to adjust the box if i just swapped it from another of my cars and i know it was working fine?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts