Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with a sticky gas peddle? I think its is just the spring in the peddle and not the cable. If so, how did you fix it. I

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does your car just idle on the high side, or is throttle sticking at higher RPM's[DIAGNOSE & FIX ASAP, COULD BE DANGEROUS]? If higher RPM's, take off Home Plate & remove Cable(WITH ENGINE OFF) from Throttle Shaft Lever[lift Cable counter-clockwise off groove in lever & slip cylinder at end(of cable) out of lever], and make sure Cable moves freely inside of it's Housing. Also, make sure lever moves freely[attached to Throttle Shaft], and there is nothing interfering with lever's movement. Does spring tension able to close Throttle completely? Post your observations.

If you're only experiencing high idle sometimes, suspect dirty/faulty Idle Air Control(IAC) Valve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Larry,

I have this same issue on my 9C1. It seems to be okay cold but when it warms up the pedal does not depress smoothly....when pressure is applied the pedal seems to jump rather than glide.

I did lubricate the spring and cable next to the throttle body....it made little or no difference. it idles fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike, I would remove rubber Intake Elbow & spray clean Throttle Blades with Carb Cleaner. Especially spray where Shaft rides in Throttle Body, working lever as you spray. If things look really dirty, remove Throttle Body(TB) & clean passages also. Also remove IAC[attached to bottom of TB w/two T25? Torx screws & a wire connector], & spray clean.
Don't forget TB/Intake gasket[Fel-Pro# 60655] incase it breaks on removal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Larry,

In my situation, the car idles fine. When I first press the peddle in the morning after sitting all night, the peddle sticks and pops back into noral opperation and then works alright.

Also, when I get down on the peddle on the highway the peddle looses some of its resistance (the accelerator still works but has 1/2 the peddle resistance as normal) a couple of minutes later I can feel the peddle pop back against my foot (after the peddle pops back against my foot, it again has the normal resistance when I press it.)

I have tried lubricating the accelerator cable from the inside and the peddle spring mechanism from the inside with no success.

Does any one have suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-SSwiftwaggon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car did this when warm and I depressed the gas. It occurs off idle. It is a sticking Throttle Body. You need to remove the 'elbow' from the TB and clean around the TB plates.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys: Spray cleaning the Throttle Body about every 25K(IMO), should be on your Maintenance Schedule! :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks LarryCigar,

I'm going to try cleaning the TB this weekend. I'll let you guys know what happens.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. Cleaning the throttle body was the cause of the problem. I did a quick clean of it and the sticky peddle is gone. I plan to do another good cleaning of it soon. This web site and the people who use it rule!

SSwiftwagon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys : there was a TSB on the gas pedal assembly back in 94 or early 95 for this issue. This means that you can get the updated pedal assembly from Dal or the like for approx $10. Yes, $10!

Needless to say, it's a no brainer on this one!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While the throttle body plate is something to definitely check, I would also get under your dash with a light. The gas pedal arm, a few inches above the pedal, is clamped to the firewall by a plate with 3 or 4 bolts. My pedal was acting funny, but it went away after tightening the very loose bolts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ed, never heard of that TSB. Can you or someone put a link up on that one? :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can't find a link right off for it. However, it was in 1995 I believe. I have a 96, so when I ordered the part I got a pedal that was identical to what I already have (I put in a billet pedal cover, and wanted to mod the pedal outside of the car then just install it "as a unit").

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
had the tsb doneon my 95 a month after i got it back in 1995 will dig through the records and find the info when i get home if i can find it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.