Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Outside. It's...well,

Which battery is working well for you?

AZ duralast gold. 800 CCA's and no troubles or worries. This one is going on 5+ years and w/ the extreme cold cranking this January, impressive.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
8-10 year old Optima's have never once failed to start. Two weeks ago it hit -20° here in Ohio.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
My situation is not typical, but here it is...
bought car in 2001 with original battery, that was 6yr bat.
it died on year 6.
So then i went to sears and bought the same battery that was in the car. about $80.
I figured it would die in 6 years (2008).
It hasn't yet.

I think since then i had about 4 years where i had a winter beater and only started the car once a month during winter.
My SS has been a Daily driver since 2012 though so I think I may be due for Battery number 3.
fingers crossed
-ALF out...

·
Registered
489 Posts
What would be a good battery for my SS that I barely drive and doesn't ever get any garage time? I want both top and side posts. I thought about an Optima but read somewhere that they're not a very good battery for a car that sits a lot and requires a certain battery charger when they get low.

·
Super Moderator
9,454 Posts
Look into the Advance Auto Parts Autocraft Platinum battery. They just started offering them in 2013 I believe. It's an AGM type battery with a super low self discharge rate. I don't know if they offer dual post types but it's a good choice for your situation. Buy one with one of the Advance online coupons and it's not that much more expensive than a typical battery.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
Look into the Advance Auto Parts Autocraft Platinum battery. They just started offering them in 2013 I believe. It's an AGM type battery with a super low self discharge rate. I don't know if they offer dual post types but it's a good choice for your situation. Buy one with one of the Advance online coupons and it's not that much more expensive than a typical battery.
X2 on the AGM (something? Glass Mat) as these have very good life compared to some of the original lead cell offerings.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ok I will look into one, thanks

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Been thru red top after red top. Made in USA......Made in Mexico.

None lasted more than 3 years.

Bought one of these two years ago....no probs.

·
Registered
177 Posts
AC Delco 1000CCA for 94-96 9c1 has been on the car 6-7years. It never missed a beat.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Having lived up north for years and now down here for 16 years I can tell you this....cold doesn't kill a battery like hot does...I'm just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Having lived up north for years and now down here for 16 years I can tell you this....cold doesn't kill a battery like hot does...I'm just sayin'.
Very true. What's worse w/ hot is you turn the key one day and zilch. Nothing. Up north, you usually get 'signs' it's about time to replace.

Good call!

But all the same, it's cold as a mofo out there right now. Just sayin... cwm8

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.