Registered
1,992 Posts
259 hp

:D

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
LOL cwm2 LOL!!!!

Seriously, that's kind of a trick question.

Over the years, it's been an absolute fact that the stock tranny will explode with regularity behind a stock engine, but in many cases it will last a long time behind a modded engine.

Case in point.....my 9C1 has had a 383ci (approx 430HP at the crank) for more than 7 years and 100K+ miles with a stockish tranny (shift kit only) with no issues!

On the other hand, the guy in this thread ---> http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=250554 <--- is about to do his third rebuild on a mostly stock engine.

Long story short.......it's a crap-shoot!

KW

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
A stock GM built tranny with a properly installed Transgo kit is one of the most durable 4L60E's you will find.

In my Impala: lasted 13 years with hundreds and hundreds of motor passes all the way into the low 12 sec range, and probably 75 passes with the 150 shot (425 rwhp) down into the low 11 sec range. I finally broke a hard part in it with a nitrous launch on a poor starting line and about a 90 mph 3rd gear re-hook.

In my pickup: 298,000 miles of "spirited" driving, towing, and 1/4 mile passes, sometimes with the 50 shot, running high 13 sec passes at 4950 lbs. Tranny still functioned perfectly in everyday driving, but nitrous passes at the strip exposed 3-4 clutchpack wear.
I wouldn't expect to get that kind of longevity out of anybody's rebuild. Don't get me wrong, if you're really pushing some torque and rpm through it, then there are just a handful of rebuilders in the country that can help you. But if you're stock + 50% power level, GM gets my nod.

·
Super Moderator
8,894 Posts
And to follow up with Pat's comment, please see this thread for all kinds of ideas on how to make your 4L60E last a very long time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts