Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody running the Impala CC with a LS conversion motor? If so which PCM are you
using? Will the Impala AC compressor fit the truck FEAD on an LS motor and clear the
front cross member. I'm trying to research some of the installation issues that I have not
seen discussed very much.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I haven't gotten that far yet on my LS swap, but is the CC module actually electronically controlled by the PCM? It is not on the engine harness, I can tell you that much....

Doug

·
Registered
787 Posts
What year Impala are you installing the LS in? Also what LS PCM are you using? The Cruise control module works (for the most part) stand alone. I have had mine hooked up from day one works fine.
Roger

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The LS would go in my 1996 Impala SS. Still trying to figure out the best alternatives. Hoping to go with alum block so possibly an LS2 or L99 block. The CC uses a cable so I would need
a pcm and TB that was cable operated. However, some/most of the LS engine builders I have
talked to suggest the Throttle by wire set up. Which PCM would be best. The car currently
has all systems working from CC to AC, dash lights, etc and I want to keep it that way. Just
trying to determine the best way to get more power with stock reliability.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
What year Impala are you installing the LS in? Also what LS PCM are you using? The Cruise control module works (for the most part) stand alone. I have had mine hooked up from day one works fine.
Roger
That is true, it only gets the 4k ppm feed from the PCM, so it knows how fast the vehicle is going. Otherwise, it operates independently. In fact, I managed to get a '95 cruise box to work on my '79 LT1 Caprice while even utilizing the old set/decel button.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It really depends on which LS motor you are using. If the one you have uses throttle by wire then the cruise goes through the PCM. If you have one of the older LS motors with a traditional throttle body then its really a matter of wiring the cruise module into the speedometer signal of the LS PCM and connecting it to the throttle body which may be a tricky part as GM has been known to change how the cruise cable hooks to the throttle body, just like bewteen the 94-95 B-body and the 96 B-body, same cruise module different cable and mounting to the TB. - Peter

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
As long as you have the green/white VSS wire hooked up to it coming from the PCM, the CC module will function, as it is pretty much stand alone. You would do better with an "0411" pcm, aka 00-02 f-body and same vintage truck. I'm currently running an 04 GTO PCM and mine doesn't work due to GM switching over to serial data lines at the time. Same thing for AC. I currently have an 0411 PCM that I'm getting ready to install so my AC functions like factory also.
If you go this route, you'd need to make sure the LS2 you're using has a 24x reluctor wheel, or order the 58x-24x conversion box from Lingenfelter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts