Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Is anybody running stock dual exhaust without the resonators behind rear axle?
Gutted cats?
How does it sound?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
not many do that, it will be slightly louder and will likely "drone" like hell.
In general not a smart thing to do.

My motor is mostly stock and you can read my thread on what i did for performance purposes.

State your goals if you have any ? sound, look, performance, etc....
-ALF out....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My goal is performance & to remove some weight.
Don't mind if it's a little louder, but don't want it to sound bad

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
My goal is performance & to remove some weight.
Don't mind if it's a little louder, but don't want it to sound bad
If it's "performance" than get a 2.5" CAT back exhaust system (better flowing exhaust). With or without resonators. The later will be somewhat louder but you will have a "drone" sound at Fwy speeds.

If you want performance and loud than just dump the pipes after mufflers...although the sound will be annoying all the time IMHO

Many people wind up with a "Frankenstein" exhaust using something like a Pypes X pipe, muffler of choice, DynoMax over axle pipe and With or without DynoMax resonators

SpinTech ProStreets are loud. Their Sportsman XL's are quieter but do have a "note" to them.

Exhaust, aside from performance enhancement, sound is subjective and each person has their own preference on what kind of sound they like.

Personally I am not a fan of stock motors with loud (poser) exhaust sound

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
"Many people wind up with a "Frankenstein" exhaust using something like a Pypes X pipe, muffler of choice, DynoMax over axle pipe and With or without DynoMax resonators"

That is good advice.

Resonators are straight thru devices will little or no degrading of performance. They are for sound control. 2 1/2" Pypes X pipe is tough to beat.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Just for the record...

When I first bought my wagon, it had factory exhaust without resonators. I never noticed any drone at all. The only difference I noticed was that the car sounded a bit more throaty from outside the vehicle.

Now, on my old 94 Fleetwood, I did the opposite. I deleted the mufflers and kept the resonators. That car was LOUD and raspy.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
On my stock engine stock rear gears 94 B4U....I run stock pipes with resonators deleted,stock cats,and a quality full size pair of turbo mufflers.I LOVE the mild sound.No drone what so ever.Quiet like a Borla cat back system,is what it reminds me of.Then under heavy acceleration is when you hear it,but not overly loud. Would shorter gears(3:73's,etc..)make it sound different,or drone? I don't know. I do know,that I personally dig this set up.I run a drilled air box up front as well.

Out of curiousity,I cut off both ends of a stock resonator.Straight through,with small holes/perforations.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,295 Posts
Hi guys,
Is anybody running stock dual exhaust without the resonators behind rear axle?
Gutted cats?
How does it sound?
Thanks
Gutted cats will make your exhaust smell like ass-crack and will result in a tinny/metallic tone from your exhaust. It won't give you much power at all.....unless the cats are already fully or partially clogged.

Delete resonators will give you a bit more (louder) exhaust tone....but will likely give you more drone at highway cruising speed.

KW

·
Registered
354 Posts
One of my 9C1's came with no resonators and thrush mufflers.
It has a nice throaty idle and barks like heck when you get on it.
It might drone, but that doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
KW is correct.

If you want performance, spend your money on something that will actually make a difference, gears, heads, tri-y headers, performance PCM tune, maybe some trans beefing, cam maybe. You are wasting time and effort screwing around with the exhaust beyond getting a nice 2.5" catback. Gutting cats is a stupid move. Good luck.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Gutted cats will make your exhaust smell like ass-crack and will result in a tinny/metallic tone from your exhaust. It won't give you much power at all.....unless the cats are already fully or partially clogged.
To each his own, BUT...

I personally love the smell of un-catted exhaust. Not to mention, I would have trouble trusting the cats on such an old car. When a car is 20-25 years old and has some miles on it, doesn't it seem probable that the cats would be at least a little bit clogged? I can't imagine replacing them with new cats, so it seems more logical to me to just hack them off or gut them.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Whether you like it or not, it is a federal offense to remove CAT's and yes it makes your car smell and sound like crap. There are plenty of CAT's that old that still function as proven by smog tests in many states.
Too cheap to replace them just means you are not committed to the car and just want to skate by and keep it running. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
On my stock engine stock rear gears 94 B4U....I run stock pipes with resonators deleted,stock cats,and a quality full size pair of turbo mufflers.I LOVE the mild sound.No drone what so ever.Quiet like a Borla cat back system,is what it reminds me of.Then under heavy acceleration is when you hear it,but not overly loud. Would shorter gears(3:73's,etc..)make it sound different,or drone? I don't know. I do know,that I personally dig this set up.I run a drilled air box up front as well.

Out of curiousity,I cut off both ends of a stock resonator.Straight through,with small holes/perforations.

Hope this helps,

Jim
I had the borla on my car and I hated it. Droned like hell. It was quiet but it was also the same monotone hum at any rpm level. Drove me nuts.

I have the CIA exhaust with no cats now...not really a fan of that either. And I picked the more mild spintech mufflers too. It doesn't drone but it's really really loud. I plan to add cats and IDK what my muffler choice is going to be. I would prefer a full stainless exhaust the next time around but there's just no options anymore.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I've had 3 Borla full cat systems on pretty much stock 95-96's over the years and had no drone and loved them on each car. I think Exhaust sound is one of the most subjective things in the car hobby lol,even before sound systems.What sounds good to one person,is horrible to the next guy,etc...

I did try a Borla cat back minus their resonators and "patented inter cooled tips" once.It sounded "cheap",for lack of a better word.

I guess that's why we have(or had in our case)so many exhaust and sound system options for vehicle enthusiast's and SEMA is a week long event nowadays.

All good stuff,
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I've had 3 Borla full cat systems on pretty much stock 95-96's over the years and had no drone and loved them on each car. I think Exhaust sound is one of the most subjective things in the car hobby lol,even before sound systems.What sounds good to one person,is horrible to the next guy,etc...

I did try a Borla cat back minus their resonators and "patented inter cooled tips" once.It sounded "cheap",for lack of a better word.

I guess that's why we have(or had in our case)so many exhaust and sound system options for vehicle enthusiast's and SEMA is a week long event nowadays.

All good stuff,
Jim

I shouldn't say that it droned. It just sounded the same to me at any rpm. It was just a hum that got louder or lower. It did sound great watching the car do a drive by from the side of the road though! lol!

I do have pretty sensitive ears. I drove many mechanics crazy trying to find a noise in my Z06 and nobody could hear it but me!

The CIA sounded pretty decent with shorty headers but with catless tri y's it's too loud for me. Mine is several years old now and had some rust (aluminized not stainless) and had to make some repairs. Wound up moving the mufflers back a bit. Changed the tone nicely but still too loud.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I shouldn't say that it droned. It just sounded the same to me at any rpm. It was just a hum that got louder or lower. It did sound great watching the car do a drive by from the side of the road though! lol!

I do have pretty sensitive ears. I drove many mechanics crazy trying to find a noise in my Z06 and nobody could hear it but me!

The CIA sounded pretty decent with shorty headers but with catless tri y's it's too loud for me. Mine is several years old now and had some rust (aluminized not stainless) and had to make some repairs. Wound up moving the mufflers back a bit. Changed the tone nicely but still too loud.
Yep agree not easy finding just the right tone and sound sometimes.

Reading other posts here about cat removal......Just thinking back when these cars were new,talking the 94/95's OBD1 with only the 2 front O2 sensors,there were plenty of guys running gutted cats and or export pipes.I don't recall any bad smell from them as long as the EGR and EVAP was left alone. I could see 96's having a bad smell with OBD2/rear O2 sensors.

Jim

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
It's the ethanol in the gas that reeks. It's bad no matter what. It'll make your eyes water if there's not good ventilation (IE: in a garage) . This is my third car with no cats that stinks. Two LS (LS2, LS6) and the LT1. IDK why I keep making the same mistake lol

Mine is a 95 with EGR and Evap intact.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts