Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the diameter of the STOCK front sway bar if the car also has a factory rear sway bar?

I've seen conflicting information, but can't find a definite answer.

I've read that ALL B-Body sedans had a 30mm front bar and 26mm rear if equipped with two bars from the factory. If it only came with the front bar, it's a 28mm diameter bar.

I also read that for the Fleetwood ONLY, the front can be 28mm and the rear 26mm, UNLESS it was ordered with a heavy duty suspension for "limo" service, which was 30mm front and 26mm rear.

Can anyone point me to a definite answer on this, including the codes to look for? The reason I'm asking is that I have a 96 Roadmaster with a 28mm front bar and no rear and want to upgrade. There is a 96 FW at a junkyard about 45 miles from here that has front and rear bars that I can pull for $25 each. Of course I could bring some calipers to measure, but I'd rather not waste a trip if I don't have to.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Question answered, sort of

Called the junkyard and the guy texted me a photo of the RPO label. This Fleetwood is a 96 with FE2 suspension AND the V4P towing package. So, a friend and I are taking his pickup along with my portable generator and air compressor to get the sway bars, rear end and springs. Engine allegedly has a cracked block, so it will remain in the car. Car has 122,000 on it, so I'm wondering about the condition of the posi, but all it takes is $$$ and time to install a new unit, right? :wink2:

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
You will note my reply to a somewhat similar thread you started in 'Roadmaster' section. The only thing to add here is NO FW will have "posi". And, any and all B- bodies that do have factory posi will be the non-rebuildable Auburn type LSD.

Let us know what bars you find on that Cady. As I mentioned in the other thread both bars on my regular FWB were smaller than the Impala SS takeoffs I swapped in. And, notably improved responsiveness over the Cady factory bars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Got the sway bars!

Went to the junkyard this morning to investigate the swaybars on the 96 FW. As I stated earlier, the RPO sticker showed the FE2 suspension.

I'm pleased to report that the bars were 30mm front and 26mm rear and it only cost me $50 for the pair! The really nice part was that the junkyard crew picked up the FW with the biggest forklift I've ever seen and placed it on a sturdy rack about 6 feet in the air for free. I hit all the fasteners with PB Blaster and had both bars off and in my trunk in a little over an hour. I only got my hands a little dirty. I was so pleased, I had a late victory breakfast of steak and eggs on the way home.

Always Auto Parts in Chesapeake VA was the yard. Old-school yard run by some nice people. Not a lot of B-Bodies there, but definitely worth a visit.

All I need now is springs. Thought about the Caddy springs, but I'm going to do a bit more research. I'm a little concerned my car won't sit level from side to side based on the way the Caddy sat before the yard moved it to the rack. Trying to find a Moog product that will lower the car an inch or less over stock RM. I can always go back to get the springs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts