Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've just finished installing a set of Quad-1's and am wondering if I'm getting close to the stock intake being a limiting factor.

I get a lot of crap from my friends for having the following including the aformentioned Quad-1's.
2.5 in cat back with Flow 50's and Dynomax Resonators
1.6 GM RR's and Beehives
EGR delete
MSD cap rotor and plugs
PCMPerformance tune
T-56 and 4.10s
AND last but not least a hockey puck

So is it about time to get a Cold Air Intake? Discuss? (Flame On???)

- Brian

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Ok. I'll bite. It's time for at least a conical K&N and rubber plumbing adapter, - until you get over your fear of commitment to a legitimate SSRI or RAISS.

There. Happy? ;) BTW, nice mods so far.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest I was wondering if there was anyway to tell if the box is becoming a restriction? Do you begin to see a limit to the amount of manifold vacuum you can pull? I notice it seems to have the knock count climbing at what were previously ok RPM's. Round the 5500 mark. Would this be an effect of not enough air? I suppose I could watch the O2s go rich if it had not enough air. Or is there a solid number from the mass flow that would indicate you've maxed out the airbox? Again I suppose it would plateu (SP?) at some number if this became the limit.

Curiosity is driving my questions more than anything. I plan on a K&N FIPK style in the near future. I'm not a fan of the raiss style from an apperance point of view. I like to go fast but I have funny ideas about how I like things to look and sound. Such as the lack of an X-Pipe. I really like the uneven exhaust rumble. I know I'm leaving power behind.

Anywho,

So yeah curiosity has gotten the better of me again.

- Brian

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
To be honest I was wondering if there was anyway to tell if the box is becoming a restriction? Do you begin to see a limit to the amount of manifold vacuum you can pull?
The easiest way to tell is thru Datamaster. Upon turn the key to the ON position, you'll get a MAP reading (reading above "RPM")... let's just say it's 100.0 KPa like the pic below has. Find a nice long empty road or go to the track and log a WOT run. If any point during the WOT run your MAP (reading below "RPM") goes under 100.0 KPa, you have an intake restriction. How much below 100.0 KPa is it considered a significant restriction? I don't know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts