Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the GM part number for the stock leather seat covers (light gray) used on a 96 Impala SS? Looking for the drivers side cover (seat, not the seat back). Are there aftermarket options out there? EBay? My original cover is developing a rip right in the middle of the cover. Are there repair options out there?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's involved in the replacement of the seat bottom? I assume taking the seat out of the car makes things easier? Other than the seat cover, anything else needed (such as any clips to hold the seat cover down)?

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
you likely would want to add or replace seat bottom foam. Upholstery supply places have foam is various thickness

the spring bottom may need some attention if a spring broke. From my understanding these are not available new anymore. The springs themselves can be fixed. Most upholstery shops deal with that all the time

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
the ST cover they sell is slightly lighter than our interiors. if you are trying to do it low budget you reuse the hogrings and get a used foam from a roadmaster base model passenger seat bottom and take the springs too if you are repairing that too

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
There should be a thread about the seat repair. The one about cutting down the drivers seat from 60% to 40% also would be good reading.

I used a donor caprice passenger seat for parts. The Impala drivers seat had serious issues. Stretched springs, bent rods, (that the springs connect to) bottom foam was cut by spring support, and the foam was compressed.

I replaced stretched springs, straitened the rods and added donor rods for two rods a side.
If my memory is correct I was able to add a spring on each side?
A heavy polyester layer over the metal spring support. (old school used burlap) Then some single layer cardboard.(both extra to prevent further foam damage).
New foam on top of the old seat foam.(1/2 to 1"?) All donor foam is 20+ years old now.

I open the hog rings with needle nose pliers and close them with slip joint pliers. I used a loop of aircraft(1/4) cable to stretch the good springs to hook them back on the seat. Gloves and safety glasses are worth putting on. If a spring gets loose it can do damage.

A trick I saw on TV is to place a heavy sheet or plastic bag over the foam. It lets the cover slide over the foam easier. Near the end pull out the plastic. This is great for seat backs. Modern seats covers have Velcro spots that make this even harder without the plastic.

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
There should be a thread about the seat repair. The one about cutting down the drivers seat from 60% to 40% also would be good reading.

you'll find suchlike in the FWB section. Keywords might be: SStealth or Riviera Console. Not too entailing. flip seat, unwrap the "10%" center portion lol, hacksaw the little support tube(s) cut and fold the remainder under. ya ain't never gonna see the modded area with a console of any type.

Or, get a JY pass seat cover. There again, never gonna see the original right side holes.

I would never do such as it defeats the purpose of having a "true 6-passenger in comfort" capacity without forced to submit to a disgusting reprehensible minivan or SUV. (sorry was that out loud)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I would never do such as it defeats the purpose of having a "true 6-passenger in comfort" capacity without forced to submit to a disgusting reprehensible minivan or SUV. (sorry was that out loud)
Opinion respected.

96bliss has never taken apart a Impala seat. Pictures are said to be worth a thousand words and if there are pictures of someone taking a seat apart the pics should help. I wish I had taken pictures the last time I took one apart. Things like removing the clip on the seat back adjuster are easier to show than explain.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
only reason to replace your foam is if its falling apart.
Most shops will steam them and after they do that the shape is recovered.

l]
...ah the upholstery shop who freshened up my seats "added" a layer of foam over the driver seat foam. The drivers seat had seen 20+ years of ass time and was noticeably "sunken" vs the passenger seat

Also the springs were tired with one broken on the DS seat. The shop
"swapped" out the spring base from DS/PS and repaired the broken spring

The seats below are the finished product. Seat covers are stock but DS back shoulder section was replaced with a new piece of leather

They also put the build sheet in a plastic cover and put it back under the PS seat

$250 say day service for all

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts