Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the thrill-ride my stock BFGs gave me last Tuesday night in the rain, I thought I would do some digging for info on good, stock size tires that can handle both wet and dry conditions. So far I am leaning toward Bridgestone Potenzas. I'm not doing any racing with the car, but occasionally I have to put someone in their place out on the street.
I will be getting the Blizzaks+Wheels combo from Tire Rack, so there's no need to worry about all-seasons. Basically I just want a good handling tire without going overboard.

Any comments/suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

P.S. If anyone has ever had trouble extracting data from their OBD-II, and have not read my "What's going on with my OBD-II?" post over in Concerns, I would appreciate any direction you can point me in before I have to just start replacing things to see what helps!

------------------
--Paul C.
(casava13)
'96 BBB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Check the other post titled Best tires for my Impala SS. Or check tirerack.com and look up your stock tire size for reports on that size.

[This message has been edited by SSmokybear (edited September 22, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by SSmokybear (edited September 22, 2000).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, SSmoky. The "Best Tire..." post talked mainly about wider tires, but I did sponge all the info I could from that thread. I've also been to Tire Rack, but I just wanted to see if there were any opposing viewpoints about my choice.

But before I can get new tires, I have to wear the old ones out. Hmmm, don't think that will be too hard...

------------------
--Paul C.
(casava13)
'96 BBB

[This message has been edited by casava13 (edited September 23, 2000).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had the b.f.g. g-force kdws tires put on my impala today and couldn't be more pleased with them.
treadwear 400
traction AA
temp A
they are not z rated but, i believe they are good for 138 mph though.

J.J.Gerena

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JJ

Tire Rack says the BFG kdws is W rated= 168mph...

Did they goof?

Tim
'96 DCM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you're right timack, i should have looked it up before taking a guess at 138. all i do know is it's a much better tire than the ZR4. the ol' imp feels very confident and smooth at hiway speeds.

J.J.Gerena

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the RE730's in the stock size and they are excellent tires. Went home to Georgia and they handled the rain very well.
Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had the KDWS in the stock size on for a while now. They do a very good job in the rain (but give it a little bit too much throttle and watch out).

But I regret putting them on. They are also a snow rated tire which most likely compromises the effective dry and wet characteristics. I live in East Texas and we RARELY EVER get snow. Plus, I am getting extremely cruddy 60 ft times at the dragstrip. 2.3's - 2.5's suck.

If I could, I would go with 285/40's all around in a "Summer" tire. Or, if I had to stay with the stock size, I'd go with the Bridgestone Potenza RE730's.

But I saw a set of wheels that I think would rock on my SS. I just need to save up a few grand to get them

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"A little bit too much throttle" is exactly the kind of trouble I got into with my stockers, AdioSS. Had to get out of the way of some moron trying to merge into me in the middle of an intersection, and just the downshift was enough to break the rears free and start fishtailing. I read that they were lousy in the rain, but it still caught me by surprise. I don't even want to know what would happen in the snow!

I would go to a wider tire, but I can't afford to compromise sidewall height. I make frequent trips to northern NY, and a few of the back roads up there (as well as a few here in Hartford, CT) are so torn up that I would bend a rim instantly. My father runs a welding shop in Hartford, and he sees a constant stream of "Ricers" coming in with their bent and/or broken wheels. He tells them they should get higher profile tires. They laugh at him and tell him he's nuts...as they hand over the money to him.

So anyway, the RE730s are still looking good, but opinions differ over the KDWSs. This makes for some good info. Thanks for everyone's help!

------------------
--Paul C.
(casava13)
'96 BBB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.