Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a '93 RMW and stock CD players for these things seem to be worth a fortune. Mine has a factory tape player in it and I bought a stock cd player from a '94 I was going to put in but the grey color turned me off. So I was looking at the '94 and it seems the radio and CD player are actually two different units so I was wondering if it would be possible to remove the tape player from my '93 radio and swap in the CD player from the '94? I haven't torn into the radio yet so I thought I would ask the pros on the board first. Has this been attemted before? TIA, Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean taking the radio it self a part? I would say no you cant seprate the CD from the radio or the tape unit from the radio. Well any thing is possible but that would be alot of trouble. I could be wrong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by 95RoadMonsterWagon:
Are you trying to keep this thing stock?
I know, an Alpine would be easier but I want the stock look so I don't have to worry about anybody stealing it.

I started taking it apart. I'll let you know what happens.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it all apart and it looks like the hardest thing will be getting the face plate changed. Really nothing to the inside, I just started removing bolts until it was all loose and pulled the front off then the cd player slid right out. Just took some time to examine all the wires and components so I didn't damage anything. Someone put it together so it has to come apart! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why not just get a delco cd player, they will fit and plug in to the wagon for a stock look. just get any ac delco cd player from 93 to now, and it will play in the car, i bougth a delco cd player from a 99 T/A and plug it rigth in the 95 9c1, and worked fine untill my son stuck a straw in it while i was cleaning the car an listenning to a cd.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a stock am/fm radio with cassette. I went to swap meet and bought another gm radio like mine with the cd player in it out of a buick. Take is out and plug it in. Worked great. I did upgrade the stock speakers with some Infinity replacements. We figured that we can add diff. componets later. I liked keeping the dash looking stock.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes the Buick is a full 2 DIN radio. Taller than the standard 1.5 DIN GM
Only the 95/96. The early cars use the same 1.5 DIN as the Caprice/SS cars. As mentioned in another post, I have a 96 SS CD in my 92 RMW.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.