Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently purchased a 91 wagon with the anemic 305. Car has 170K on it, and the rear main is beginning to leak and stink. I am in the planning stages of replacing the engine and trans with a .030 350, mild RV cam and a shift kitted 700r4. Will the stck throttle body support the engines requirements? Remember-my wife drives this behemoth, and will not be firewalling the go pedal. Within the next few weeks, the single leg excuse for and exhaust will be replaced by a true dual system with new cats and flowmasters, so I think I'll see a noticeable improvement then, but when the day comes for an r&r, I want all my ducks in a row. Thanks for reading/responding.

Darryl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If driven mildly, it should do fine. An improvement would be to install 350 injectors in the throttle body and get a chip for a 350. It's easy to do and not very expensive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's actually a fairly good selection of mild cams for the 350. Suggest you look at Crane, as they seem to specialize in torquey cams more than the other manufacturers.

I know you wanted to use the stock throttle body and intake, but just thought you'l like to know that Edelbrock makes a TBI intake manifold and throttle body that will support about 400 hp.

You mentioned dual exhaust. Just FYI, it helps to install a tranny crossmember from a dual exhaust car as it has humps on both sides for the exhaust.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the 350 TB injectors and chip, do I just get a JY piece, or is there another source? I do drive this car mildly, and am not interested in barking the tires. just needs more pull off the line.

As for the exhaust and the crossmember, that is already in the works. I have access/ability to rework the existing piece to accept a second pipe on the drivers side. Thanks for the heads up, though!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The injectors are available from GM. A good price is $75 each. The chip can be JY but you'd probably be better off with new injectors.

If Edelbrock has a TBI that supports 400hp, there's a whole bunch of Camaro and truck owners that are interested. I know they have an intake and they have a MPFI conversion, but throttle body? You referring to an LT-1 throttle body maybe? Different animal.

Be aware if you use stock cats for your duals, you'll also need a mini starter and a oil filter adapter from a 94-96. Don't try to use the newer crossmember as our trannys have a different length tail section and dont mount to the same place on the x-member. I've got a newer x-member in my cellar if anyone is interested.

[ 08-08-2002: Message edited by: PaulD ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you really want a high-flow throttle body, pick up the Holley replacement TBI. It has 52 mm bores, which will support plenty of power. The Holley injectors don't have a good rep, though, so I'll probably try to fit the GM injector tower and some 90 lb/hr 454 injectors to my TB when (if?) I get around to working on the wagon. Obviously, you're talking about a custom chip at this point, but it's a good idea to do a ECM recalibration on TBI cars for even mild mods (as the manifold-vacuum-based speed-density system is more sensitive to mods than a mass-airflow system).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a couple of questions...

eric, whose throttle bodies have the best rep? i've heard a few things both good and bad about the holley.

darryl, i've got a '66 #'s matching full power 289 conv't myself and have been considering the 5.0 swap and 4 wheel discs. did you do this yourself? was it a kit? how expensive? you're the 1st person i've come across that has actually done it. rock on, rus

"just when they thought they had me by the balls, they found out their hands weren't big enough" Montgomery Burns

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PaulD:

If Edelbrock has a TBI that supports 400hp, there's a whole bunch of Camaro and truck owners that are interested. I know they have an intake and they have a MPFI conversion, but throttle body? You referring to an LT-1 throttle body maybe? Different animal.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My mistake. Edelbrock has the manifold, but Holley has the throttle body. It's a 670cfm unit, up from the stock 300cfm piece. Holley also has the intake manifold and they have aftermarket computers, too:

Holley throttle body

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Darryl,
Come to think of it, I have a Hypertech chip for a TBI 350 that I'm not using. If you're interested in it, PM me. I can make you an offer you'll like.
;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSee SSpot Run:
eric, whose throttle bodies have the best rep? i've heard a few things both good and bad about the holley.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The factory GM pieces are the best. The 454 came with a 2" (50 mm) TB and 90 lb/hr injectors, which is good enough for a fairly warm 350. The Holley is a bit bigger, but isn't built quite as well and the injectors have a very bad reputation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.