Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, not sure if this goes in Misc or Exterior since this is Glass. But sorry for the inconvience if not...

So anyways im having just a bad SS month. First tranny, then brake Master Cylinder, then lines....and NOW a Tinted Window Ticket...!!!!:mad:

Well since I bought the car with 20 percent tint on all 4 doors and rear glass. He used the meter and measured 20.The cop was nice enough to give me a ticket for one window instead of 4. I know the law in ny is 70 percent light transmittance which they don't even make a film that shade but my question is to you...

On the ticket it says equipment violation 98 dollars and then above it it says you can send in a receipt of the repair. Now is tint considered one of these?? Cause I got a receipt today from the tint shop removing my tint film. This ticket is very confusing and from what I read on it , it should be a equipment violation from what I see.
I looked on the NY DMV site and nothing on any subject of equipment violations of that sort. No topics whats so ever. I cant get through to the dmv number either!!!

So im asking if any of my fellow SS guys in NY have been in this situation and if you sent in any material to the dmv to get out of the ticket?

And yes 100$ is nothing to some but to me , things are tough right now and im scraping by .

Any feedback would be appreciated or suggestions!!!

Thanks

· Registered
1,668 Posts
Cant say about NY but here in California that would be a fix it ticket which cost $25 and no need to show any receipts just have to take car to the police station to have the ticket signed off (proving the tint was removed) then pay the court their $25.

California doesn't allow ANY tint on front door windows and only 6" down on windshield can have tint, the rest of the car can have whatever level of tint you want but there must be a mirror on each door.

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. NY makes everything more complicated as usual!
That CA rule is simple. You can have tint but not on the front doors...plain and simple...no tint meter needed...

· Registered
2,154 Posts
I got one for the placement of my stickers, reg and insp. The insp was above the reg instead of side by side. A glass shop was able to pull off both without voiding them and repositioned. Didn't even charge me. Took pics and sent in with ticket. If I remember right, I think I got some response that all was good.

· Registered
7 Posts
It's all for Money Money Money. The states are all broke and they need it. All in the guise of public safety. Fix-It tickets in CA used to be free when I moved out here from NY but now they are getting downright expensive. I am actually considering mounting the front license plate which has never been on the car.

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses guys!

Also to add I never was pulled over for speeding or anything of reckless nature.

BUT

I been pulled over for tint, hairline crack in windshield, loud pipes, stereo, and more stupid stuff...

go figure

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THis is the answer I got from the DMV when I asked a question if it was a fix it ticket

those bastards!

>>>>>>>>> Tinted glass is not an equipment violation and cannot be dismissed by mail. You will need to see a judge or plead guilty and pay the fine of $98.00. If you do plead guilty by mail please write a note stating you are changing your plea and want to pay the fine. Include the ticket or ticket number. Cathy J

· Registered
2,154 Posts
Why'd you call the DMV? I think I called the precinct.
You said the ticket said equipment violation no?

I marked not guilty and mailed it with the pics of evidence. I would send in a pic of receipt and car. But it's really up to you. Things might have changed as it was a number of years ago.

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why'd you call the DMV? I think I called the precinct.
You said the ticket said equipment violation no?

I marked not guilty and mailed it with the pics of evidence. I would send in a pic of receipt and car. But it's really up to you. Things might have changed as it was a number of years ago.

yeah equipt violation.

I asked the cop at the time of ticket if I can also remove it and bring the car to the pct and he said no, they don't do that. You have to go through the dmv once the ticket is issued.

Years ago they used to do that but no everything is documented since that big ticket cover up that they exposed in 2010 or so with NYPD

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yup you have to send the tickets to the dmv. OR you can pay online. It was always that way back then too.

I even went down to the dmv cause I had nothing to do lol
And a clerk there told me the same thing as the online lady Cathy at the DMV head office upstate, that its not a correctable equupt violation

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.