Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a SS last week. Having a strange problem. Drive down the road at highway speed, when I slightly accelerate or decelerate the rear of the car shifts to the left or right. It almost feels like I hit a groove in the road.

I jacked up the car today and checked the rear control arms and they look ok, as in there is nothing that looks broken and all the bolts are in. I also check the trans mount and that seems ok.

Could it be the bushings in the rear control arms have play in them?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
The control arm bushing may look OK, but can be rotted to the point of allowing slop. The only way you can check is to pull the arms. If you are going to do the lowers, do the uppers as well. If the rear is shifting around, it will put strain on all of the bushings, causing accelerated wear. Now might be the time for the extended arms, and a Ford CV driveshaft.

The trans mount would not cause the car to react the way you describe. you would probably hear a clunk, but that would probably be the only symptom. To check it, put a jack under the trans and try lifting it. If it lifts, the mount is probably broken. They have a tendency for the rubber to shear between the crossmember and the trans.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
You can get this symptom from uneven tire pressures as well, more pronounced when there is a locker or spool in a differential. Make sure the tires are the same size on the rear as this will do it also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts